PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows AND Linux

mopepom
July 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM
My main operating environment is Windows XP. I have recently set up Sun's VirtualBox with a Ubuntu Hardy Heron distribution. It seems to work extremely well.

My problem is that I don't want to go back to square one to learn my way around the strange new Linux land. What i am looking for is a tutorial that I can access on my Windows XP notebook computer, which is right beside my Windows XP + VirtualBox/ Ubuntu machine.

This way I could do the tutorial exercises on the VirtualBox/Ubuntu, following along the instructions that I can read on my XP notebook screen.

I have to get away from the "either Windows OR Linux" dichotomy. I want to do "Windows AND Linux"

Any ideas?

kerry_s
July 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/

Jon Monreal
July 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
My main operating environment is Windows XP. I have recently set up Sun's VirtualBox with a Ubuntu Hardy Heron distribution. It seems to work extremely well.

My problem is that I don't want to go back to square one to learn my way around the strange new Linux land. What i am looking for is a tutorial that I can access on my Windows XP notebook computer, which is right beside my Windows XP + VirtualBox/ Ubuntu machine.

This way I could do the tutorial exercises on the VirtualBox/Ubuntu, following along the instructions that I can read on my XP notebook screen.

I have to get away from the "either Windows OR Linux" dichotomy. I want to do "Windows AND Linux"

Any ideas?

You might also consider a Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) install, which allows you to dual-boot Windows and Linux without all of the hard work. Wubi is officially supported, and can even be removed under Windows add/remove programs if you need to. Plus, with Wubi, you get a working copy of Ubuntu on your system that can utilize all of your hardware - not just some of it.

When I first started using Linux (Gentoo), I jumped right in. I used both Mac operating systems and Windows at that time, and getting used to Linux didn't really seem a challenege. Perhaps 'jumping in' and just exploring would be a good idea. It might help to know what your interest in Linux is.

If you need help for some reason, feel free to PM me.

Hope your experience with Ubuntu is a good one.