PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I messeed something up..............

fluhartz
July 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hello All,

I am new to Linux and I really enjoy the OS... I have been able to customize it to look look really cool and I love a lot of the features...BUT.

I tried installing Google Earth just for the heck of it and now I just want of get rid if it/fix what ever i did.
Fist off I couldn't even get it to work, I downloaded it and when I try to run it I get Failed to execute child process.."googleearth" No such directory... I put a screen shot in here.

It then says I have an update, and it is for Google Earth. When I try to do the update I get another error... Something about dpkg was interrupted.. I put another screen shot in for it... I serched and tried to do what this thread suggested..http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388348...... and no dice..

It is like it isn't even installed... How do I just totally get rid of it from my system?
I would like to go back to the way it was before I even tried this....

Any help will be very much appreciated....
Thanks in advance....
Flu

pytheas22
July 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
How did you install Google earth? If you used the repository, then:

sudo apt-get remove --purge google-earth

should get rid of it.

To fix dpkg, try:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Does it help?

fluhartz
July 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
pytheas22,

I found it on the forum...someone explaining how to install it. I just tried the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" again and it seemed to fix my problems.

The Google Earth update worked this time... It is working now, so I might keep it for a while...

Thanks for your help.
Flu