PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a backup OS?

Ozor Mox
July 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ubuntu is the first Linux operating system I tried, and since I liked it so much, I have stuck with it and have no need to change, though I have experimented with other distributions every so often out of interest.

But what if one day something forced you to switch from Ubuntu? It ran out of money and was no longer properly supported. A decision that you strongly objected to was made (such as a deal with Microsoft). All the new versions for some reason stopped working on any of your computers. What would be your backup OS? If it was an "Ubuntu apocalypse" type scenario I'd probably read the threads here about what people are switching to. Aside from that, I'd try out some of the distributions listed here (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major), and probably some other ones I have heard good things about like Arch. I think my natural choice in the end though would be to switch to Ubuntu's base, Debian. I have tried it, and I like it a lot, plus I'd be lost without apt! :)

What about you?

pmlxuser
July 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Paper and pencil plus exercise books -thats my backup.

then i would just do
add repository

$sudo memorize /mind/newshop.lists

append the following at EoF

# pencil pen and excercise book repository
"deb http://bookstore.localmarket.net"

then run the following commands

$sudo apt-get install more-pens
$sudo apt-get install exercise_books
$exercise_book write

Mark Thread as [Solved]

problem solve -back in sweet 1980s

billgoldberg
July 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think I would go for plain old debian, since I don't care much for rpm distro's.

barbedsaber
July 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I would call it a great excuse to do some distro hopping, and probably find something that I prefer over ubuntu.

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I did, I used Vista as my backup when I crashed Arch/Ubuntu, but that changed yesterday when Arch helped me accidentally whipe Vista. :(

dizee
July 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM
i would finally have a reason/excuse to try out arch. and if i didn't like it i'd switch to debian.

barbedsaber
July 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I did, I used Vista as my backup when I crashed Arch/Ubuntu, but that changed yesterday when Arch helped me accidentally whipe Vista. :(

Why the sad face. That would make me happy. GO ARCH.

amazingtaters
July 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hmm, I would either jump over to Arch or Debian. Or maybe Dreamlinux, if I could get it looking less OSXish. I mean, really, I don't plan on using Ubuntu forever. I had a good long run with Windows (3.1 to Vista) and I'm hoping I can run even longer with Ubuntu, but lets face it, things change, OS's come and go. Who knows what will be out there when I decide it's time to switch?

RiceMonster
July 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm using Arch right now. If Arch died, I'd probably go for Slackweare or Gentoo, or one of the hundreds of distros I have yet to try.

david_lynch
July 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'd either go to plain old debian, or maybe back to suse, which I was using before I jumped to ubuntu.

spupy
July 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ubuntu IS my backup OS. I'm using Gentoo, but have a virgin Ubuntu installed for the worst-case scenarios.

Switching to another OS? Maybe Debian or Arch. I think I have an arch disk somewhere.

But someone will always carry the torch, so there is no reason to think about "OS apocalypse"! :)

tubezninja
July 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I guess for me, the backup linux OS would be SuSE.

With the stuff I do, I don't have any primary OS really. I'm using OS X, Ubuntu, Solaris and (rarely) Windows.

Methuselah
July 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'd probably go back to FreeBSD until I find another linux that I'm comfortable with.

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Why the sad face. That would make me happy. GO ARCH.

Because my sister had her games on there, my mom had data on there, and I wiped them both off. :(

wolfen69
July 26th, 2008, 09:36 PM
i'd probably use mandriva or debian.

bobbocanfly
July 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'd try out lots of distros (Gentoo, Arch, Vector, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, Mint, Zenwalk) but probably end up with Debian, SUSE or Fedora. I used Fedora a bit when I first started using Linux and apart from using RPMs and tying SELinux in a bit too much its fine. SUSE looks awesome but I havent used it long enough to get an idea of what its actually like.

LookTJ
July 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Because my sister had her games on there, my mom had data on there, and I wiped them both off. :(
testdisk?

mordak13
July 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Assuming Linux Mint would be in that group of affected Ubuntu distro's, I'd use Debian then probably Gentoo or Sabayon.

Kingsley
July 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ubuntu is my backup. I'd continue to use Fedora.

AndyCooll
July 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm another of those who'd simply move over to Debian. I might also try Arch and Fedora too.

:cool:

perlluver
July 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'd be where I am now, on good ole' Slackware. If not there, then maybe Free BSD.

SuperSonic4
July 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Mint is my current and I'm not sure what I'd have as my backup, probably kubuntu since I like KDE

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
July 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'd probably go back to debian sid, not that I'd like the breakage every once in a while. Ubuntu only break things every six months and leave everything as it is in the meantime.

Or, now that debian testing has security updates, I may want to try it out again.

hessiess
July 26th, 2008, 11:13 PM
arch, gentoo or LFS.

Der Alte
July 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I'd compile the Linux kernel and all the other packages I'd need, from the source code :)

Seriously, I'd probably look into Debian.

NilsHG
July 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM
no backup OS
i have backup of my data
i use mint primarily on the desktop and i test arch on the notebook.
many linux distros install into a "ready to use desktop" in about 20 minutes! all you need is backup of personal data and a linux cd of choice.