PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu for Aliens and other Non-Terrestial Lifeforms?

kevdog
July 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Recently seen a lot of posts with either signatures or avatars claiming Ubuntu is for Human Beings (kind of like stating the obvious since Human Beings are the only ones I know on Planet Earth that use the Computer with Regularity -- don't give me the monkey business on this one!). Is this the only class of people that Ubuntu would be suitable for? ET like Reeses Pieces -- would he not like Ubuntu?

fiddledd
July 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
There are no Aliens, just us. Although it would probably be quite bad for us if there were. They would either behave like Conquistadors or if we was lucky, fly straight past our insignificant planet. :)

LaRoza
July 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
No. Aliens use computers that are not only compatible with any interface, but have no security whatsoever, and handy "self destruct" system calls.

See Independence Day. Ubuntu is not for aliens!

eldragon
July 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
considering the fact that linux is free and open source.
id say it is for humans and aliens too.

all they need to do is port the C compiler to their computer architecture, figure out how tcp/ip works (which shouldnt be so hard). park near earth (preferably, the moon), jack an internet connnection and download the source code. compile, then hack our satellites with a synchronization signal. place their spaceships over mayor cities and start shooting once the synchronization signal fades.

too bad they used a flawed debian release with weak ssh key generation, so we jump on board, upload a virus and execute it with ssh. and thus we take down their spaceship shields with a simple iptables command and wham, we nuke the hell out of their asses......

oh wait...thats independence day....allover again.

pmlxuser
July 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The Classification Says UBuntu for Human Beings implying there also exist Human Zombies and what have you. The point if there exist other ET as you claim. Ubuntu is not designed to suit their needs.

Out of curiosity why bring this? do you have an unhuman friend who is offended by the alvatar or motto?

;)

WinterWeaver
July 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Discrimination!

the phrase should change to: "Linux for every-being" or something the like.

Bachstelze
July 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
What really bothers me, though, is that, if Ubuntu is Linux for human beings, then what on earth are other Linuxes for?

Canis familiaris
July 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
See Independence Day. Ubuntu is not for aliens!
Of Course it is. Ubuntu is compartively Virus Proof. :lolflag:

kevdog
July 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, technically virii are simply pieces of DNA or RNA and are not living in scientific terms. I guess linux would be for virii too?

Canis familiaris
July 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, technically virii are simply pieces of DNA or RNA and are not living in scientific terms. I guess linux would be for virii too?
Or snippets of code?

adamogardner
July 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
oh well no actually I know a planet that is mostly, and necessarily a computer, It evolved that way from a purely organic mass. the life forms on it are mostly sterile and live forever through the technology. We may be seeing this technology beginning to evolve here on earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity They don't use ubuntu. but thats not to say they never used something similar in the early stages of their evolution.

germanix
July 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I would certainly hope so, I am using it and would like te continue doing so. I think I must be an alien, because whenever I say something at home, the family looks at me and say_ "what planet are you from"

Methuselah
July 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Is Ubuntu for Aliens and other Non-Terrestial Lifeforms?

You know TOO much. :evil:

Joeb454
July 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think ewoks might like the natural theme (i.e. brown)

;)

the8thstar
July 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I know Curious George can use a computer, I've seen him on PBS! Now was it Ubuntu or something else? You might to ask the Man with the Yellow Hat.

kevdog
July 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I know Curious George can use a computer, I've seen him on PBS! Now was it Ubuntu or something else? You might to ask the Man with the Yellow Hat.

That's monkey business! (Just a side reference -- wasn't that the same name of a ship that Gary Hart got caught having a little fun on?)