PDA

View Full Version : Would a Prettier Linux Make You Switch?

sharks
July 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
If u r a windows user , Would a Prettier Linux Make You Switch?

http://lifehacker.com/399163/would-a-prettier-linux-make-you-switch

Canis familiaris
July 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have already switched. There is no such option in the poll.

sharks
July 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
k.Just changed my question(edited).

Delever
July 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I switched because it worked. At "pretty" side of things it delivered more than windows with next aero would. So thats a plus. So I guess the answer is "no", because I need it working.

fiddledd
July 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No, I'm a bit old to be impressed by spinning cubes and wobbly windows. The main reason I've not totally switched to Linux is hardware support.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I made Ubuntu prettier myself, and then I declared myself switched even though I had been using Linux and free software almost entirely for the previous year. Does that count?

billgoldberg
July 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Sure, better default eye-candy would make more people switch.

It's certainly not the only reason to switch (compiz fusion might be), but it can't hurt neither.

barbedsaber
July 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
what is the desktop backround in the picture?

dizee
July 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
i didn't think edgy was any less pretty than windows xp when i started using it. it didn't even come into consideration.

different people have different ideas of prettiness anyway. it doesn't necessarily mean flashiness like compiz. the default look should be reasonably neutral in this respect.

germanix
July 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
No! better not. I do not think my wife will understand. She already thinks I spend more time with Ubuntu than with her.

hessiess
July 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
putting myself back in the mindset i was in a year ago, knowing little about linux. beeing 'prettier' would have made me much less lickly to switch. i HATE eyecandy ui's.

Corfy
July 26th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Eye candy does not an operating system make.

Frak
July 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Yes, but by pretty, I mean stunning interface. The eye candy is nice, but even a very well done theming of the system is enough. This is where I do have to say, Ubuntu still just doesn't cut it.