PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I've accidentally deleted...

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I've accidentally deleted my wireless network icon that sits on the top bar. I can't see it in the 'add' list to display it again. How do I get it back?

Please help. Thanks:)

iaculallad
July 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I've accidentally deleted my wireless network icon that sits on the top bar. I can't see it in the 'add' list to display it again. How do I get it back?

Please help. Thanks:)

For the Network Manager:

Right-click on the top-panel and select "Add to Panel", under "Utilities" -> select "Notification Area" and click on Add button.

For the Network Monitor:

Right-click on the top-panel and select "Add to Panel", under "System and Hardware" -> select "Network Monitor" and click on Add button.

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
which one is the one that displays your wireless connections?

kunixos
July 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
They both do. Choose one and use the instructions to get it up and running.

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM
which is the icon that when you install ubuntu, its sitting in the top bar and when you click on it it shows you the available wireless networks that you can connect to?

bhadotia
July 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
which is the icon that when you install ubuntu, its sitting in the top bar and when you click on it it shows you the available wireless networks that you can connect to?
The notification area.

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
when i right click top panel and choose 'add to panel' there is no 'utilities' option in my list?

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
there is no 'Utilities' or System & Hardware' in my 'add to panel' list? how do i get them in the list?

Please help.

iaculallad
July 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
when i right click top panel and choose 'add to panel' there is no 'utilities' option in my list?

Open your terminal and issue the following commands below:

sudo gnome-session-remove gnome-panel
sudo gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
sudo gnome-panel &

EDIT: corrected command

bhadotia
July 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Can you post a snapshot of your panel list window?

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
sorry i'm an absolute beginner:) How do i open up the terminal and issue that command?

iaculallad
July 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
sorry i'm an absolute beginner:) How do i open up the terminal and issue that command?

Applications->Accessories->Terminal

jozmoz
July 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
thanks i'll give it a go:)