PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing with Vista

Tobiah7989
July 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have an older VPR Matrix laptop that's been choked by a Vista upgrade... I would like to install Ubuntu (which will be my newbie intro to Linux) but there's a problem during install: it only recognizes 494MB of free space, and unlike the example here
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/installing-partitioning.html
there is no option at any point to "erase entire disk", which is what I want to do. I am trying to install from the 8.04 iso on a flash drive, working through QEMU. Vista won't allow me to boot from a cd. Ran into the same problem (494MB) on my good laptop, trying to set up for dual boot. I've already partitioned 22GB, first as unallocated, then as a new volume, neither worked. I've spent 3 days searching discussion forums for a solution, and have pulled out my last hair! somebody pls help if possible.:confused:

kd4dii
July 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
It is probably your BIOS that will not allow you to boot a CD not Vista. You need to change the boot settings. When you boot the computer it will tell you what key to use to go into the BIOS, st the CD as the first boot device and save the settings. I think you will find that you will like Linux much better than Vista. Vista is the pits!!

Bob