PDA

View Full Version : Domain names

mikejen
July 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
hi

Aint it funny how when you query whether a domain name is free that someone goes and buys it, GoDaddy in this instance. I enquired about mikejenkinson.com a month ago, now theyve bought it so I can only get it from them!

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers

Michael

Barrucadu
July 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
That's why I only check my domains with Enom, they seem very reliable in that regard. Sometimes I check with the whois command - if no record is found the domain is probably available.

ibutho
July 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I think this is something that many people regularly complain about. Some registrars snap up names that people have searched for and then try to sell them to you at higher prices. I am sure godaddy is one of those that is notorious for doing that.

enlightenment now
July 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Concur with Enom, but I use the Google domain partner search:
http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new#

But beware, the Google search to buy a domain will toggle between godaddy and enom, just be sure and change it to Enom if godaddy comes up. They are both Google partners.

Kvark
July 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Can this happen if you use the whois command (which I think checks GoDaddy's database) too?

The whois info about mikejenkinson.com claims it was created on 09-mar-2007 which is much earlier than a month ago. Do they place fake information in the whois database to cover up their tracks?

Barrucadu
July 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Can this happen if you use the whois command (which I think checks GoDaddy's database) too?
The whois command checks the registry, then checks the appropriate whois server. So, GoDaddy is only checked if the domain is taken and registered with them. I think.

The whois info about mikejenkinson.com claims it was created on 09-mar-2007 which is much earlier than a month ago. Do they place fake information in the whois database to cover up their tracks?
I'm fairly certain that would be against ICANN's rules, and if not is rather unethical in any case. There can, however, be temporary problems (I've experienced them mostly with Nominet - the UK registry) where a domain is reported as taken when not or vice versa, or something else goes wrong - it took me two tries to register archlinux.co.uk, the first failed due to a Nominet error.