PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Slowmo Heron

galvheim
July 25th, 2008, 11:20 PM
After using hardy on my box for a few weeks, it is moments before I throw this whole **** out my window-XP or just put a dynamite in it to get some weird satisfaction from see the whole **** blow to pieces, because it seems like I have deliberately installed a huge virus on my computer called Hardy Heron. No-one seems to care about all this, because I've really tried finding solutions to find answers to this. I would call this no more than a alpha-version at best, since so few things are really working when it comes to calling it a OS.

I did keep my HOME-partition intact from my previous GutsyGibbon install, but I'm not willing to throw all this away unless I get a sane explanation as to why I should wipe it off and do a pure install, if anyone suggest that this is where my problem may reside. If so, Ubuntu and the whole purpose of the Home folder is gone in my view...

In short my box consists of the following:
AMD 1.8 GHz Single Core
4 GB RAM in QUAD mode.
1.5 Terrabytes SATA2 HDs
Nvidia 8800 GTS.

Anyway, what I'm experiencing just after the first install was the unimaginable slow response I get in Hardy in almost all circumstances of usage. Compiz is turned completely off and its still lagging far behind my expected tempo of use. The thing I value most by OS'es are true responsiveness. Which mean that when I scroll, type, move windows, go through menus etc, this should happen as quickly as I can do it myself or my brain can follow it (this I can do in WinXP. Especially when there is really nothing else happening inside my computer that makes it busy. Like just now: I'm sitting two meters from my monitor, so I just wanted to scale up the fonts in FF, but this just took more than 10 seconds and my FF turned dark in the meantime.

This happens all the time and it's no reason whatsoever that this should occur with regards to my computer specs. I have installed latest Nvidia drivers, have done a clean re-install and really updated my distro on all repositories possible. But I will underline that this was my first impression from the start too, before any additions where added, so I have by no means f***ed up my system by installing third party **** that is regarded as risky. Like now, when I writing, I write faster than Hardy is able to show me this in realtime. So I just want to say. F**k THIS ****!!! I will resist go back to Gutsy, since I think its ******** from Ubuntu developers to give out such **** since they absolutely must have been aware of this before they released it.

It's just a sad story. Luckily I didn't wipe off XP yet, so I still have a somewhat responsive system, but then again it's windows.

I mean: on my calendar it says July 2008 now. 15 years ago I had a super responsive system (a.k.a AMIGA 1200). It's sad to see how technology has stagnated into such a mess that we see today.

I like many of the things Hardy Heron has to offer, but it was just too annoying to sit wait for a simple things as typing text to show up on my dual LCD's. This is so damn sad that I have no words for it.

My CPU is laxing most of the time, and I have never used any of my swap-space. So not come here and tell me something is not seriously wrong. It's simply a BS-system they have released, and there is no way I can trust these developers in their hype when I saw there was a new version. Usually in my world a 'new version' mean something that will work better, but in this case it was a total downgrade.

My machine is by linux-standards a monster. I saw the responsiveness of Gutsy, so I know what to expect. Unfortunately I was asked to automatically upgrade to latest version by the updater, so this resulted in a totally corrupt OS which forced me into a re-install. So I downed HH, since I hoped a few things would be better, but it took me no less than 14 CD's and 4 downloads before I had a copy that was fault-free. And that from a 3 months old LG-DVD/CD-Burner that has made beautiful copies of everything else burned so far. So yes, you have a lot to fix Ubuntu-guys and I seriously mean that calling something more than version 1.0 should mean that it would work ten times faster and stable than it would with a beta release. Just holding my backspace-key in to erase a sentence can cause it to continue erasing more than two seconds after I release the backspace-key. What should I call something like that? "****" is what first comes to my mind.

Seriously. I have seen a lot of complaints about this, and everytime I get some updates I hope to see real improvements, but no, it's the same bad thing I get after resetting my box and starting it again. Also issues about unexpected crashes and freezing up is a normal thing here. So get your heads together and find out how the hell a machine like mine is less responsive than a Commodore 64. You could argue that I should help doing this, but since I'm a designer and graphic artist, coding is sinmply not my field.

Goood luck and good bye to this annoying crap!!!
I did love it, but they seem to make my decision very easy by distributing an OS like this and letting me sit here with a no less than a big experiment from people who like to call themselves OS-developers. It's simply not fun anymore. Sadly but true. I hate MS-everything, but sad to see how we are still forced to use this. No wonder Windows is and still will be the main system for most people in the world. It's a pain in the butt, and calling it "Linux for normal people" is the biggest irony they could come up with. I have used a lot of OS'es so please not suggest I'm a newbie in this matter. Since a OS is a tool I expect things to work, and not having to be a professor in bits and bytes to do simple things as typing in realtime on computer in 2008.

I am not able to find any suggestions on this forum on how to fix this, and yes call me stupid, but I simply can not find any sollution as to why this is working so slow.

I'm not willing to give up yet, and I will every week load my Ubuntu to see if some updates will change this so that I once again can show off this to people who think XP/Vista is the only good thing to put in a computer. Any suggestions are welcome and I will be happy to try these out since I really have nothing to lose.

The amount of info from the developers are at best limited and there is nothing more for me to do than just wait and continue my work on XP-Pro in the meantime. If this is not fixes soon, I will give up on this, since I not have money to buy a new computer when I one day explode in pure anger and simply kill this ****.

Best Regards,
Gunnar.

stchman
July 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I wish I could have voted twice as the lack of knowledge was also an excellent choice.

Please be more specific in your problems? What kind of AMD 1.8 GHZ processor do you have? Is it 64 bit? Post an lspci output in this thread.

xen-uno
July 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
How did you arrive at 8.04? Upgrade from 7.10 (or older) via the online method, or clean install? I had a few weird problems going the upgrade route so I did a clean install with an x64 alternate disk. That took care of the weirdness. It's fast and solid on a pretty high end machine. I would take a breather for a few days and look into it again. I had some problems on 7.10 but persevered through some (actually a ton of) patience and help here.

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Ha ha ha - stchman. I can understand you. Sorry for my great frustration.
Well here's my lspci-output. Hope this says a lot more to you than it does to me, but mostly I only see my hardware here, but I gueass that's what you wanted.

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
01:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS] (rev a2)

XEN-UNO:
Yes, I did, as mentioned try at first to upgrade, and by this really mess up my 7.10 version. So I did a clean install of HH on my system, BUT I did leave my /home-folder to keep some settings and other things I was unwilling to use. And yes the "/" partition was formatted when I installed it.

Anyway, after this mail I installed the nvidia-drivers from nvidia.com by "hand" and it recompiled to fit my setup. I went to CLI and terminatet X-server. So this was pretty straight forward. Before I had used EnvyNG to install it, but it was messy I think. Now at least my graphics are pretty good and it seems like key-input is showing up on my screen as fast as I am able to write and register it in combination of my eyes and brain. So now I'm a little happy. Allthoug my nvidia-settings about is still impossible to get to stick, so I wonder now how I can do this. I was in the ".nvidia-settings-rc"-file to see if things stuck there and checked when it was updated last, and it seems like it has been written to today. But everytime I reset, I lose all my settings for antialiasing. I will get back to you on more as I try this out further, but I'm still very dissappointed by many things.

This was written in deep affect, because I want a good system and really hate windows. I really thing this might be more a FireFox problem now, than it's Ubuntu, so what do you suggest I do? Is it more wise to downgrade this to a more stable version, or do you have good experience with it? I mean, I use smoothwheel, but I can't say I see too much of the smooth part...

Thanks for your reply anyway. It's a constant learning process, but this is really the only OS that give me back the wonderful AMIGA feeling, by being so customiseable and tweeky. I'm still scratching the surface, but really I just want it to work as an effective tool for me, so it's nice to have you folks here.

I have low temper, so please excuse my big frustration. I'm sure things will be sorted out as it usually does after maybe minutes, days or months of absorbing new knowledge.

If you can give me some clue to how I can get my nvidia settings to stick then please fill me in. I have tried "sudo nvidia-settings" and I have tried to write protect the .nvidia-settings-rc file, but to no avail. It still keeps forgetting things and go back to default everytime I reset. A link to this or some terminal code, would be highly appreciated.

Regrds again...

xen-uno
July 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
"Allthoug my nvidia-settings about is still impossible to get to stick"

You mean settings as selected in the NVidia X Server Settings applet? You might still have garbage left. Did you see this sticky? ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5086971&postcount=6

I'm still using the NVidia drivers from the repository. This is also where I found the X Server Settings applet which is included in the official NVidia driver package. Latest NVidia x64 driver is 173.14.09 vs repository which is at 169.xx.xx. May install latest tonite with help of link above.

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

Failed to parse the following modeline of display device
0x00000001 'Samsung SyncMaster' connected to GPU-0 'GeForce 8800 GTS':

source=xserver, source=vesa, source=edid :: "nvidia-auto-select" 108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync

When go into "X Server Desctop Configuration" I get this message, so now I'm not able to ever accss this winow, so something is clearly done in a weogng wat. Any suggestions are welcome as to how I can fix this...

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Ok, yes I try to use the NVidia X Server Settings applet for changing this, and why not since this is what they give me as a tool. I'm also not sure about your statement about "still have some garbage left"...Can you extrapolate a little on this are you kind? I mean how do I clean up this garbage without messing up anything?

And no, I'm back to i386 on my system since the x64 was even more a pain in the butt with regards to the software I tend to use. I do not think that will resolve anything. But I just need to get these settings to stick, so that when I reset I still have overrides on a lot of quality settings, like anastrophic filtering, antialiasing, syncing to VBlank and stuff like that. But as I mentionend earlier there are some new issues with regards to not being able enter the monitor-settings menu. I want the most crude and easy way to do this, as I'm sure a lot have had this same problem. This was also a big issue, when using compiz in Gutsy...

xen-uno
July 26th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I still think you have a corrupt video driver install. I have no trouble at all on any video aspect (which makes me a little hesitant to update the driver ... but I'm gonna do it as it's good practice). I'll go through the procedure and let you know.

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Sorry to do this, but this is what I get when i try start "sudo nvidia-settings":

sudo nvidia-settings

ERROR: Cannot open display 'ubuntu-gunnar:0.0'.

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute DigitalVibrance specified on line 21 of
configuration file '/home/gunnar/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute DigitalVibrance specified on line 22 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute SyncToVBlank specified on line 23 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute AllowFlipping specified on line 24 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute LogAniso specified on line 25 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute FSAA specified on line 26 of configuration
file '/home/gunnar/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute TextureSharpen specified on line 27 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GammaCorrectedAALines specified on line 28 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadow specified on line 29 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowXOffset specified on line 30 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowYOffset specified on line 31 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowAlpha specified on line 32 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowRed specified on line 33 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowGreen specified on line 34 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowBlue specified on line 35 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute FSAAAppControlled specified on line 36 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute LogAnisoAppControlled specified on line 37 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute FSAAAppEnhanced specified on line 38 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedBrightness specified on line 39 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenBrightness specified on line 40 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueBrightness specified on line 41 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedContrast specified on line 42 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenContrast specified on line 43 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueContrast specified on line 44 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedGamma specified on line 45 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenGamma specified on line 46 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueGamma specified on line 47 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute OpenGLImageSettings specified on line 48 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureBrightness specified on line 49
of configuration file '/home/gunnar/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureContrast specified on line 50 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureHue specified on line 51 of
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureSaturation specified on line 52
of configuration file '/home/gunnar/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank specified on line
53 of configuration file '/home/gunnar/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoSyncToDisplay specified on line 54 of
connection).

ERROR: Failed to parse the following modeline of display device
0x00000001 'Samsung SyncMaster' connected to GPU-0 'GeForce 8800 GTS':
source=xserver, source=vesa, source=edid :: "nvidia-auto-select"
108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync

xen-uno
July 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
OK ... 1st part done (latest NVidia drivers installed). Video response seems to have improved. Starcannon's steps are right on the money (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5086971&postcount=6). In the 7.b) section, run all 3 (worst case is it can't find the files or packages).

I've created an easy-to-read file of starcannon's & vor's HowTo's here: http://home.mchsi.com/~xen-uno/NvidiaDriverInstall.doc

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Now I have followed your instructions (the print version) and done exactly as you have told me. But still I get this when open NVIDIA X Server Settings, and click into X Server Display Configuration: Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

Failed to parse the following modeline of display device
0x00000002 'Samsung SyncMaster' connected to GPU-0 'GeForce 8800 GTS':

source=xserver, source=vesa, source=edid :: "nvidia-auto-select" 108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync

It had to recompile when installing, and it seems like this version is not doing well. Any suggestions folks?

Think I will go back to Envy...

xen-uno
July 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Take a look at these threads. These guys have had problems with the Samsung monitor too ...

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6244
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1678309

It appears the modeline in xorg.conf is incorrect for your monitor. Is your model listed here? ..

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database

If not, what is it?

galvheim
July 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks again,

But I'm pretty sure this has been detected. Both are in fact listed as Samsung SyncMaster and it accurately chose the correct pixel-resolution that is meant for this monitor. Now I took away the manually installed NVidia drivers and used EnvyNG again.

But now this is my issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5461593#post5461593

In short, my settings are forgotten after each reboot, but you can follow the link to read more on it there. I have gotten no replies yet, and this is really the main problem that I have. I just cant get any of my settings to stick there. But let me first look at the links you sent me.

I thank you so much for your effort and I think this is an amazing community

Best regards,
Gunnar Alvheim