PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with live cd options

hockeyhead019
July 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM
ok guys so i got my cd the other day and went to run it and the options came up fine and i checked my memory and it passed all the test and had no errors. so i tried the run ubuntu without installing just running from the cd... so the loading bar bounces back and forth a couple times (i think it's about 5 times but i'm not sure) then it stops the screen goes black and then the busy box v1.1.3 (or whatever version it is) comes up with the promp so i let it sit without touching it and then it comes up with an error that says ata1.00 revalidation failed and then a loop comes up giving all these errors about an exception Emask and it says status DRDY.... so then i tried to see if my cd was messed up and went to the check cd for errors (or the name of that option which i believe is something to that affect) and it gives me the same thing...

any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance

p.s. if you need to know anything about my computer ask and i'll try and answer the best i can :)

Pumalite
July 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post your specs

hockeyhead019
July 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
ummm what specs you want?

Pumalite
July 25th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Memory and graphics.

hockeyhead019
July 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
ok you're gonna have to cut me some slack with me on this haha because i'm kind of new to this lol... but ok here goes
for mem i have a 250 gig HD which is a Hitachi HDT and then i think the graphics is an intel g33/g31 express chipset family... umm but i'm not sure about the graphics card... so i'm on windows xp so would you mind telling me where to find it?

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sure there is a place in Windows where you can find this information. Maybe 'Computer'

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
ok i'm sure it's there... i'll dig around and be back quick cuz i have to eat... please don't leave lol... i'm a little desperate for help at this point lol and thanks in advance

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
ok so that is my graphics card the i mentioned above and then my ram is 1 gb... anything else?

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
***bump***

oldos2er
July 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Don't worry, the forums are open 24/7.

Have you tried running safe graphics mode?

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
ya and it did the same thing... bounced back and forth a couple times and then went into the busybox... and at this point i've tried both versions of the desktop... the x86 and the x64 just to see if it would make any difference but there was no difference and both did the same thing and brought me to the busy box. i know that both disks are fine as i checked them on a buddy's computer... so i'm assuming that the problem is somewhere in my hardware maybe??

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Did you install these CD's?

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM
no i didn't... but do you think that it would matter?

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Up to now you have proved they can boot, but we don't know if they can install.

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
ok well then i'll try the x86 one because i have another computer here that i can try it on and then i'll post after that... once again thanks for your help pumalite... even if we don't solve the problem i appreciate you taking the time to help :)

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Good luck! Let us know.

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
ok tried the x86 version and it worked like a charm... so i don't think that it's the cd which is messed up but instead i'm assuming that it's something in my computer which is acting up funny... o and i've come to the conclusion that i'm an idiot for getting the x64 version... because that's not for my computer haha... i'm on a intel pentium dual core (if that's any help)

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Try the 32 bit in your Dual Core.

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
ok you lost me haha... you want me to change my core to 32bit? can you try and explain a little more indepth haha... yes i am a noob with this stuff :D

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ubuntu has a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. I'm saying use the Ubuntu 32 bit in your Dual Core computer

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
so you're saying i have to completely re-dowload the iso image then?.... wait ok i think i have that version.. because when you go to download in the ubuntu website it gives you the option of the 64bit or the standard computer right? so i already downloaded the standard computer and that's what i've been calling the x86 version lol... i don't know i might be wrong but that's what i've been trying (and i tried the other version as well still nothing)

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Dowload from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Choose 'Standard personal computer'
Follow this guide to burn:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=%28burn%29%7C%28
Do md5sum on the iso, burn at 4x or less, do not use CD-RW, check CD integrity before install.

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
once again you da man... thanks for your help i'll try this and let you know how it goes... and thanks again for your time it truely is nice to have somebody care and give good advice :)

hockeyhead019
July 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
ok md5sum... fine.... burning to a cd-r (700mb compact disc recordable)....

hockeyhead019
July 27th, 2008, 12:52 AM
ugh ok now i'm really getting frustrated... ok so i remade the cd and it comes on fine but then jumps to the same error... it gives me the busy box v1.1.3 and all that junk again... but now half way through the continuous errors it says that sychronizing SCSI failed without progress... any ideas before i throw my computer through the wall? haha

Pumalite
July 27th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Is your hard drive formatted? Is it recognized and well configured in BIOS?
If above OK; you might try editing your boot line and adding all_generic_ide at the end.
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html

hockeyhead019
July 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM
haha WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO when i added the all_generic_ide at the end of the boot line it did it :D you really have no idea how happy i am now... so now my question is how do i have it install and not run into this problem? or should i be set now that it loaded?? and another question... i have the 250 gig hard drive so how much room should i allot for ubuntu?? while going through the install process i get to step 4 about the partitioning and it says that it wants to resize the windows portion to 74.3 gigs and wants to give ubuntu the rest of it? any advice?