PDA

View Full Version : why u think ubuntu is better then the other distros

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
why do u think ubuntu is better then all the other distros?

init1
July 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I don't.

RiceMonster
July 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I don't.

/thread

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I don't.

ok i realize that everyone has their opinion and i dont want to start an arguement but could u at least say why u dont think so

Barrucadu
July 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I don't - I prefer Arch. Much faster, the software is more up to date, and I set it all up myself manually, so I know how it all works.

cardinals_fan
July 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hardware support. Slackware's manual package management makes it hard to get my printer drivers installed, NetBSD doesn't have NVIDIA drivers, and Arch uses very up-to-date drivers which tend to break on my system.

Package management is the other huge factor that pulled me back to Xubuntu. It's so nice when everything is in the repos.

The whole "do-it-yourself" thing is a GREAT experience, but once you know how the system works, it's kind of nice to let the distro automate stuff.

I'm always on the lookout for another distro though.

clinux
July 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
user-friendliness
vast community
large number of packages
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Package_manageme nt_and_installation)

-----
However, i have my right eye looking at knoppix, don't know when the left will follow.

Kernel Sanders
July 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
i don't.

whs

tiachopvutru
July 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
user-friendliness
vast community
large number of packages
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Package_manageme nt_and_installation)

-----
However, i have my right eye looking at knoppix, don't know when the left will follow.

Hmmm... strange. Why does Ubuntu have less packages than Debian in that wiki link?

Masoris
July 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ubuntu has Ubuntu forums :)

AndyCooll
July 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
For me it is now quite simply because it is the distro I'm most familiar and comfortable with. It suits my needs.

Though I started with Fedora, it was when I moved to Ubuntu that things worked for me and where I "learnt" Linux. Since then I've got to the stage where Ubuntu does everything I need and I'm familiar with all the aspects of the system that I need to know about.

I sometimes look at Debian, Arch, Fedora etc. It's not that Ubuntu is necessarily "better" than any other, but since it does what I want it to do I have no strong desire or need to change.

:cool:

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I don't - I prefer Arch. Much faster, the software is more up to date, and I set it all up myself manually, so I know how it all works.

then just wondering...why r u on the ubuntu forums if u use/support arch

cardinals_fan
July 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM
then just wondering...why r u on the linux forums if u use/support arch
* These aren't the "linux forums".
* The community here is large, and, even when I'm not using Ubuntu, I like to visit this active forum.

SunnyRabbiera
July 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I say I like ubuntu as its easy to pick up on and use for the everyday user.
Its more media ready then Debian, much easier to use then Arch and Gentoo, more adaptive then Slackware and more versatile then most of the other distros.
Ubuntu comes with most that is needed by the everyday user, sure it doesnt come with everything but it comes with enough to get one started.
Plus the community rocks.

tiachopvutru
July 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Arch is also a linux distro... and this is Ubuntu forum. Beside, there's no rule that says you can stay in Ubuntu Forum if you like other distros more.

Barrucadu
July 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Why not? :popcorn:

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
* These aren't the "linux forums".
* The community here is large, and, even when I'm not using Ubuntu, I like to visit this active forum.

ok sry was curious

and i probably misphrased the ubuntu is the best distro it should have been more along the lines of "why do u use ubuntu"

RiceMonster
July 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Arch is a Linux distribution (which I use as well). I used to use Ubuntu, so I still like to stick around here because Ubuntu's got a great community.

While Ubuntu's a really good distro, I don't use it for the following reasons:
1) I don't want to use XFCE, KDE, or GNOME. I know I can change it as I used Openbox on Ubuntu before, but I have to either remove it, or use a minimal installer, and I'd rather a distro that's "meant for that".
2) I'm impatient, so I want to use a rolling distro so things are constantly being updated.
3) I don't like having all that stuff preinstalled. I want to put what I want on it. Again, I know about the minimal install.
4) I like having packages vanilla, which is the way Arch does it.

What I really like about Ubuntu is how friendly it is for new users, the community support, and excellent hardware support. It's the ideal distro to start on, in my opinion (not that I have a problem with experienced Linux users using it).

ibutho
July 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
The main thing I like about it is the community, I don't think its better than other distros.

smartboyathome
July 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Ubuntu isn't the best distro, it is just a good distro for some people. Others may hate it, or it might not fill their needs.

benny bronx
July 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Easy to install even when dual booting, and the font rendering in 8.04.

fillintheblanks
July 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM
it has a cool names like gutsy gibbon and hardy heron :guitar:

Frak
July 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Hmmm... strange. Why does Ubuntu have less packages than Debian in that wiki link?

Ubuntu ports 90% of their packages from Debian.

Ubuntu benefits from a strong Debian, and Debian benefits from a strong Ubuntu. - MarkShuttleworth

Every Debian developer is also an Ubuntu developer, because one way to contribute to Ubuntu is to contribute to Debian. - MarkShuttleworth

We incorporate Debian changes regularly, because that introduces the latest work, the latest upstream code, and the newest packaging efforts from a huge and competent open source community. Without Debian, Ubuntu would not be possible. - MarkShuttleworth

I don't.

Same

FlyingIsFun1217
July 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I like it for it's immense package repos, and the fact that most of my hardware is supported out-of-the-box by it, even the most uncommon hardware that doesn't seem to have the correct support by other distros.

FlyingIsFun1217

TBOL3
July 26th, 2008, 01:22 AM
1. Apt with more packages
2. Orange Theme
3. No 'full version', that's what fedora and redhat sounds like.
4. An attempt to make things 'just work'.
5. GUI for nearly everything (yes, I do use the terminal, but I still want the option to use the gui).
6. Nice website, most distros (at the time anyway), had a horrible site.

Northsider
July 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM
The phrase "just works" comes to mind when I think of Ubuntu. I have tried Debain and SUSE and they both failed miserably...Ubuntu works almost flawlessly for me

cardinals_fan
July 28th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I'm a perennial distro hopper. I just moved back to Arch from Xubuntu.

Frak
July 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I find Ubuntu to be a great beginners OS. If you have NO idea how GNU/Linux operates, then Ubuntu is for you. If you want to go very ever, ever so slightly more difficult, fedora or OpenSUSE is for you. If you want to go intermediate, then Arch or Debian is for you. (Yes, I consider Debian intermediate. They seem to hide the simple settings away for you to discover on your own, as if they're trying to teach you). If you want to go advanced, then Gentoo or LFS is for you. Though, all-in-all, I find Ubuntu to be a great learn-the-ropes OS. In no way to be used a serious learning platform compared to Arch, Gentoo, or LFS, though in that sense, don't jump into Gentoo or Arch as your first OS either. LFS would kill any beginner.

steveneddy
July 28th, 2008, 04:42 AM
user-friendliness
vast community
large number of packages

-----

hear, hear!

chucky chuckaluck
July 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
while i got my feet wet most easily on ubuntu, i consider it the AOL of distros: easy to use, but ultimately crippling.

perlluver
July 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
while i got my feet wet most easily on ubuntu, i consider it the AOL of distros: easy to use, but ultimately crippling.

+1, kind of. I don't think it is the AOL, maybe one of the easiest though. But I use Slackware, just love the stability of it.

Frak
July 28th, 2008, 04:50 AM
+2
I use Debian for its stability and speed (Debian Lenny).

seatex
July 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Most people will always prefer the easiest system to use. This is why ubuntu became so popular, and why it continues to be so popular.

Check out this recent interview with Linus Torvalds, as he pretty much agrees with this point, and even names ubuntu as one of his favorites for this reason.

http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/geek-of-the-week/linus-torvalds,-geek-of-the-week/

Alasdair
July 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Personally I like Arch a lot, but it doesn't seem to like my hardware. It's a bit clichéd but Ubuntu really does just work. I don't see how it cripples me at all, my ubuntu system is functionally equivalent to my arch install minus all the kernel panics... Now that's crippling

Corfy
August 1st, 2008, 04:46 AM
When I started looking at trying Linux, I did a lot of reading online. I read a little about Ubuntu, but at the time, it was a very new distro (only one release by that point), and I was a little nervous about using a brand new distro as my first.

I liked what I had been reading about the apt package manager, however, and decided to use Debian (3.1 Sarge, then "unstable", but would stabilize a few months later). I had heard that it might be a little difficult to install, but it was easy to maintain. Since I was the IT department at my office, I figured I could handle a difficult install. So I installed it on my computer and was prepared to be amazed.

Instead, I had a lot of headaches. My computer was as slow as molasses, it didn't recognize any of my USB devices (including my mouse), it locked up on me often, and it would never shut down properly. I spent two weeks searching Google, asking questions on forums, and reinstalling and re-reinstalling the OS. A lesser user probably would have given up long before I did.

I finally tracked down the problem, which turned out to be an easy fix. I really loved the system after that, and I got to the point where I wanted to recommend Linux to others. However, the nightmare I had installing it held me back from recommending it, since most people I would recommend it to are considerably less tech-savy than I am.

By that time, Ubuntu had made it's third release, and buzz on the Internet was even higher. So I decided the time was right to wipe Debian and try Ubuntu. Less than an hour after starting the install process, I was looking at a fully functional desktop. Quite a change from the Debian install.

Later, I was given a Fedora Core 5 DVD, and I decided it was worth trying. So I installed it. Well, I had similar problems with it that I had with Debian... similar, but different. The system was slow (although not as slow as the initial Debian install), my USB devices were recognized, but my keyboard would quit working, and I couldn't shut down properly. Unfortunately, the fix for Debian didn't apply to Fedora. After another week of online searching and forum posting, I went back to Ubuntu. And other than a couple of LiveCDs for specialized purposes (SystemRescue CD, Damn Small Linux), I have stuck loyally with Ubuntu ever since.

Now, there are hundreds of distros out there, so I'm not going to say that Ubuntu is the best of all of them, but based on my experiences, it is the best of the ones I have tried.

MidsummerDreams
August 1st, 2008, 05:00 AM
I haven't really used Linux much at home since Red Hat 5.2 (IIRC) and that only lasted a day or so before my windows chewed up the boot sector.. grr.

I use linux at work for servers and such but my hands on with that is very limited... rebooting and such for maintenance. After my iMac with OS X died I've (I was Windows XP before that but that was years ago... 5 I believe) I've decided to think about my options and did a quick search on Linux to see how the world is coming along.

Through my flickering, I found lots of cool 3D desktop stuff and on youtube a Linux (Ubuntu) vs. Vista. Looking into it further just grabbed hold of me and I've been learning a lot more about it and the ease of it all. Lots of people claim it to be pretty good so I'm willing to go on that as well.

I've installed it on a test system to toy around with it and I like it. Pretty fast for what I need and it comes with (as mentioned before) apps ready to go for CD burning and music and such. The only thing I think hurting it is the lack of wireless out of the box and possibly a little more driver support or clarity on all that madness.

There may be better distros out there... but going through everything I see has Ubuntu all over it. :)

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 05:01 AM
You guys obviously! ):P

david_lynch
August 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM

and yet you hang out at the ubuntu forums. :lolflag:

doorknob60
August 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't, BUT, I think it's easier than the other distros, so I recommend it to my friends http://www.zybez.net/community/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif 2 down, lots to go :-P One of them is just an average computer user, and one is someone who actually knew about Ubuntu before I did, but gave up because of Nvidia problems. I helped him get it working later. (actually it never worked so he bought a new card :-P) It was a 7300GT if I remember correctly, and we tried manual install (I think, I was an Ubuntu newn then :-P), Envy, and restrited manager many times with no sign of it working. Always went to Vesa.

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
and yet you hang out at the ubuntu forums.

haha nice, ye what happened is the arch forum down? :lolflag:

doorknob60
August 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM
I forgot to add that no matter what distro I use, I will always be glued to the Ubuntu Forums. It's my second favorite forum, Runescape Community being my favorite (their computing forum is amazing, sorry guys :-P) And besides, Debian is very similar to Ubuntu so I can still help out and stuff :D

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
haha nice, ye what happened is the arch forum down? :lolflag:
I'm not as familiar with the Arch forums. I'm starting to be a little more active there, but this is still my main forum.

MONODA
August 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hardware support. Slackware's manual package management makes it hard to get my printer drivers installed, NetBSD doesn't have NVIDIA drivers, and Arch uses very up-to-date drivers which tend to break on my system.

Package management is the other huge factor that pulled me back to Xubuntu. It's so nice when everything is in the repos.

The whole "do-it-yourself" thing is a GREAT experience, but once you know how the system works, it's kind of nice to let the distro automate stuff.

I'm always on the lookout for another distro though.
sounds like you would like debian stable or lenny

gsmanners
August 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
openSUSE: package manager isn't as good
Fedora: less stable
Mint: no 64-bit support
PCLinuxOS: smaller repos
Debian: less hardware support
Mandriva: not as brown ;)

tiachopvutru
August 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Mandriva: not as brown ;)

Haha... that reasoning is pretty strange. :)

The later Ubuntus are heading toward orange, though.

Darkade
August 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't, I've been trying arch and I've been liking it. But I really like the ubuntu community

ghindo
August 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Ubuntu is better at some things than other distros, but other distros are better at other things. It's a bit of a trade-off and it really depends what you're looking for.
while i got my feet wet most easily on ubuntu, i consider it the AOL of distros: easy to use, but ultimately crippling.You clearly have never, ever, ever used AOL. :(

TBOL3
August 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
I like ubuntu because it 'just works' :) . But this is true, out of every OS I've tried, ubuntu is the only one that has 'just worked' for me. But I do realize it's different for everyone.

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
sounds like you would like debian stable or lenny
I'm back on Arch at the moment.

RiceMonster
August 1st, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm back on Arch at the moment.

That's because Arch does it right :). You're using Openbox now too right? Arch + Openbox = perfection. I can't find a better WM or DE than it.

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
That's because Arch does it right :). You're using Openbox now too right? Arch + Openbox = perfection. I can't find a better WM or DE than it.
Yes. Openbox is an awesome WM. The perfect combo of light and heavy :)

CarlosNYB
August 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I like trying different distributions, but what I consider 'home' is what is set up nice for what I do and feels good and does the job for me. Right now that's Ubuntu. Sometime soon I'll probably be trying out Puppy Linux and grafpup, for the heck of it, on my USB drive. Maybe later on I'll make some more partitions and triple/quadruple boot so I can also have Debian, Red Hat, Suse. Who knows. Why not explore?

Whatever really catches my eye and does the job for me will be my real 'home' for a while.

Ubuntu is my pick right now because it's been a while since I've used Linux or Unix, and because there's the Ubuntu Studio packages for music, right there, all nice and lined up for me to peruse and play with, easily installed, etc. Later on who knows maybe I'll just install something else on some partition, get to liking it, make sure it has the real-time kernel, and add the music programs I need, configure it just right, etc., and it will be a new 'home'

It wouldn't be fair for me to judge my experiences with other distros from years ago to Ubuntu today, so I can't really comment on comparisons. Maybe sometime in the next year I will feel qualified to compare/contrast other current distros.

sleepitoff
August 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I'm torn between OpenSUSE and Ubuntu for favorite distro. Ubuntu is probably winning overall just because synaptic package manager is a bit nicer than YaST and Ubuntu's font rendering. OpenSUSE does KDE a little better and is a bit faster on my machine, though.

Kotjze
August 2nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
I don't think there is a "better" distro. Each one has its own advantages. I like Ubuntu for its hardware support. I would probably be using Fedora but I use Ubuntu because my graphics card and wireless card are easy to get working, without having to follow complicated guides. Ubuntu has come along way and continues going. I remember trying to get these same cards working back in Edgy. What a nightmare it was #-o

dagrump
August 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
I'm fat & happy it does everything I expect it to do, I can't say it's the best but it works for me & who cares?

Mateo
August 2nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
apt-get and sudo. period, end stop. i would probably use another distro if it had a better UI, equally large repositories, and supported apt-get.