PDA

View Full Version : 'Opened Box' Memory from newegg

TreeFinger
July 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing some 'open box' memory from newegg. From what I understand 'open box' means that the item was returned from a previous buyer. The memory is Mushkin and they have a lifetime warranty on their memory so is there any risks for me purchasing this?

J.T.
July 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Most likely, the original buyer bought the wrong memory for their computer and had to return it. If it comes with a warranty it should be fine. I would say the risk in minimal if the price is right. As far as the brand of memory goes, the industry standard pretty much makes all brands comparable. I recently learned about this stuff at my school (ITT Tech).

GoldNugget
July 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I purchased an open box laser printer from Newegg. It came with no warranty and warned it may be lacking software, toner, cables etc. Though the price was great, I was reluctant. Well, I risked the 50 bucks and received a perfect printer with all the components. It is still working flawlessly (on Ubuntu) over a year later. (FYI it is an HP Laserjet 1018 )
Memory has no moving parts and generally will work fine for years. As the above poster stated, someone probably purchased the wrong type and returned it. If the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty it should be fine.

ARhere
July 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
ONLY if New Egg makes a claim that the product still works.

One little static shock to a DRAM IC while handling it will turn it into a bookmark, and rarely is there evidence of damage.

Personally, I would not...not from an online store.

-AR