PDA

View Full Version : the program u cant live without

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
what

program/programs can you not live without?

Bachstelze
July 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
The Search function of this forum.

damis648
July 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Technically not a program but a Window manager: Compiz. The animations just feel natural. Also, Terminal and Firefox.

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The Search function of this forum.

lol

spoons
July 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
what

Ubuntu! :lolflag:

vegetali
July 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
terminal, either firefox or swiftweasel, emacs, wolfram mathematica, evince, gnome-volume-manager, htop.

YaroMan86
July 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Terminal, definitely. I've been learning ZSH as an alternative to BASH (More features, albeit larger.) Kildclient, Pidgin... I'm probably missing something.

kko1
July 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
No such thing.

cardinals_fan
July 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Dmenu, Bash, and Vim. Vim is the best text editor and Bash is the best shell. Because I'm not enough of a masochist to run just the command line, I need an easy way to launch apps. That's where dmenu comes in. It's lightweight and very powerful.

EDIT: No more Bash. I use zsh now :)

AndyCooll
July 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
No such thing.

Indeed.

However in the context of this thread I'll go for the terminal, X11 and web-browser (e.g. Firefox).

:cool:

Oldsoldier2003
July 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM
what

grub. (I hate lilo)

scragar
July 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM
hmn, tricky choice. I love ktorrent, but that's not something I couldn't live without, just something I wouldn't like living without. Quanta on the other hand pay's my bills, so yeah, I can't live without quanta.

Kingsley
July 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Exaile. How else would I listen to Jimi Hendrix? :guitar:

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
exaile. How else would i listen to jimi hendrix? :guitar:

rofl

InfinityCircuit
July 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
/sbin/init

damis648
July 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
/sbin/init

:-p

ice60
July 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
i really like my opera, i've made 100s of changes to it.

as so many people use browsers it's a bit odd a lot of people don't know about all the things you can do with opera! like noscript for opera, customise google for opera, userjs that can do great things similar to firefox extensions, and bookmarklets, i've got a search domain one, google cache for the site i'm on, i can highlight a word and look it up at dictionary.com, bugmenot, open in firefox etc, i've changed the layout of the browser and added and hacked the toolbars.

i wrote a howto for a lot of the hacks, but the mods mustn't of liked it, they didn't put it up lol. there's a very old one somewhere though that did get put up!

i can talk about opera all day lol.

i quite liked the veoh downloader i got too and used that a lot for a month or so.

jimi_hendrix
July 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM
/sbin/init

what does that do

damis648
July 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init... the system cannot function without it.:popcorn:

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
mkdir test && ln -s test test2 && rmdir test && ln -s test2 test

the infinate loop sequence, that is what. :p

Superkoop
July 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I could live without all programs, but I wouldn't use a computer as much if it were not for these programs.

Firefox - teh internets need me.

aMSN - me needs webcam; me needs my `claire'.

Pidgin - everything that isn't msn, and we all need a program that randomly segfaults for no good reason.

Rhythmbox - music, music, music

VLC - video, video, video

Terminal - me loooooooves teh green text.

Make - because without it, ./configure would be oh so alone :'(

X - me likes pretty eyecandy.

GNOME-clock - time. is. evil. but. I. needs. it.

WhateverThatAlt-F2ProgramIs - Me uses it a lot.

aMSN - I mention it again because my `claire' isn't on :'(

Masoris
July 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
P2P programmes; Deluge, eMule ...

damis648
July 26th, 2008, 12:07 AM
mkdir test && ln -s test2 test && rm test && ln -s test test2

the infinate loop sequence, that is what. :p

do you mean "rmdir"? or rm -r?

EDIT: Actually, don't you mean

mkdir test && ln -s test test2 && cd test && ln -s ../test2 test

and if you want

mkdir test && ln -s test test2 && cd test && ln -s ../test2 test && nautilus .

RiceMonster
July 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I can't live without the command in my signature

To make it work, do this first:

sudo apt-get install cowsay

oldsoundguy
July 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Those two programs that keep us in touch with the world.

Browser (with search engine) &
eMail Client

Any of the above that work for you and it matters not what platform you run!! LOL

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM
do you mean "rmdir"? or rm -r?

EDIT: Actually, don't you mean

[CODE]mkdir test && ln -s test test2 && cd test && ln -s ../test2 test[CODE]

rmdir, good catch, editing.

Also, I don't meant that edit. I mean what I said.

dominiquec
July 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Taking the operating system (currently Ubuntu) as a given:

Web browser, currently Firefox 3.0.

Word processor, currently Abiword.

Hmmm...come to think of it, I could use the web browser as a word processor, but I like Abi.

damis648
July 26th, 2008, 12:17 AM
rmdir, good catch, editing.

Also, I don't meant that edit. I mean what I said.

Doesn't work. :'( Neither does "rm -r" instead or rmdir.

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Doesn't work. :'( Neither does "rm -r" instead or rmdir.

run rm test/test2 and then rmdir test. Now try the edited code. Works here on Arch.

damis648
July 26th, 2008, 02:03 AM
run rm test/test2 and then rmdir test. Now try the edited code. Works here on Arch.

Great. Now nautilus crashes when entering that directory... stand by I will try to fix it.

EDIT: Well, I used rm -r on it and it is back to normal. I am about to try your command again.

Interesting. Any directory that this is ran in can not be opened again in Nautilus. It crashes with a segmentation fault. When open in nautilus when the symlinks are created, however, two broken links appear. Interesting.

mthei
July 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
i really like my opera, i've made 100s of changes to it.

as so many people use browsers it's a bit odd a lot of people don't know about all the things you can do with opera! like noscript for opera, customise google for opera, userjs that can do great things similar to firefox extensions, and bookmarklets, i've got a search domain one, google cache for the site i'm on, i can highlight a word and look it up at dictionary.com, bugmenot, open in firefox etc, i've changed the layout of the browser and added and hacked the toolbars.

Is a NoScript for Opera really necessary? You can just disable Javascript by default and then allow it for trusted sites. It's pretty much the same thing only without adding extra plugins.

mc4100
July 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Synaptic Package Manager!!!!

... and Rythmbox (with all it's obscure third-party plugins -- like "In the Mood" ;))

chris4585
July 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I can't live without:

1. any terminal emulator non specific, but preferably written in GTK.
2. Quod libet - It plays music, and it *ALLOWS* me to organize my large music collection.
3. beep-media-player plays single files perfectly
4. brasero simple disk burner.
5. conky shows my pc status
6. bitlbee gets 10 stars from me, its a ircd that allows me to connect to one of the most common IM protocol's from my favorite irc client.
7. beagle it finds stuff pretty fast
8. ksnapshot my favorite screen capturing program.
9. xkill <-- yes i'm serious.
10. xpad simple sticky note program

ice60
July 26th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Is a NoScript for Opera really necessary? You can just disable Javascript by default and then allow it for trusted sites. It's pretty much the same thing only without adding extra plugins.
it gives more control -

This is a userjs that almost mimics NoScript, but does one better!
NoScript is a firefox extension that allows selective blocking and unblocking of external scripts on the page which is its basics.
But when compared to my script, mine allows selective blocking and unblocking of Images, Iframes, and Embedded content on the page!
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=241208
here's the User guide with screenshots -
http://files.myopera.com/shoust/files/HTMLDocumentation.html?1217036260

mthei
July 26th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Interesting. I'll definitely look into that.

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I can live without xkill, just use E17 it has a kill function.

ice60
July 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Interesting. I'll definitely look into that.
if you're interested in making opera more secure you can read this post -
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=211761

here's some more opera stuff from an old post i did about customising opera -
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/tips-tricks-tweaks/344214-some-opera-tips.html

the youtube resizer has been updated to this one -
http://userstyles.org/styles/6420

and here's another one -
http://userstyles.org/styles/8010

here's how to add extra speeddials -
http://cybernetnews.com/2008/06/13/helpful-tip-add-more-speed-dials-in-opera-95/

here's another link -
there's some good stuff in the stickys
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=28

cardinals_fan
July 26th, 2008, 03:21 AM
It has a kill function so that you can kill it whenever it crashes

...just kidding :)

chris4585
July 26th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Yeah, gnome has a function like that "force quit" but c'mon xkill just sounds kinda cool.

Me: grr i gotta xkill this thing hold on
someone else: okay..
Me: ok i killed it, now what were you saying?

:lolflag:

damis648
July 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, gnome has a function like that "force quit" but c'mon xkill just sounds kinda cool.

Me: grr i gotta xkill this thing hold on
someone else: okay..
Me: ok i killed it, now what were you saying?

:lolflag:

I just use killall for that kinda stuff. :popcorn:

scragar
July 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM
ps -A and kill > pkill > force quit > killall > xkill

ofcourse that's a personal prefernce, personal I find force quit can be very annoying with heavy programs(where said program take a long time to end) while xkill doesn't always fully kill a program, meaning that you have to manualy kill it later anyway. killall lacks accuracy, and pkill is too slow compaired to the others(xkill and force quit ignored since they are on a whole different level of slow).

MONODA
July 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i cant live without:
1. dwm
2. dmenu
3. opera
4. mutt
5. cplay
6. vim

Foster Grant
July 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM
GNU Aspell.

:lol:

ModelM
July 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Midnight Commander

I've been messing with various Linux distro's for many years & it's always the first thing I install if it isn't there already. It works in a terminal under X, works in a vt, works all the time no matter what.

For folks who haven't tried this file manager, you might want to give it a go. Lots of people who are intimidated by the command line fall in love with it. Copy, move, edit, delete, view files in a terminal just about as easily as under X.

Wikipedia probably tells the story better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

SuperSonic4
July 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Amarok
Konqueror
aMSN
Firefox
PACPL Convert
VLC
Sound-Juicer
FFmpeg
k3b
mplayer

I like multimedia :p

hessiess
July 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Blender (obviously)

Ingenue
July 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Gee there are so many of them. Pidgin and Firefox are way up there. Besides, I am so green to Ubuntu and Linux (or GNU/Linux however you like it) I'm still exploring all my options. Hoping to make some new friends on here, I love the community.

Nate B.
July 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Midnight Commander

Absolutely! I've been using Linux since '96 and there is no way I can function without mc. Another package I install is fte--an editor more friendly than vi and smaller than emacs--in all its permutations.

Anymore it seems as though the package I can't do without is openssh. :)

Joeb454
July 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Dexter's Laboratory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter%27s_Laboratory)

darkmatter
July 30th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Internet Explorer. :P

akurashy
July 30th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Internet Explorer. :P

Are you mad!? This place is flooded by wannabe elitists and self-centered people you might get eaten alive! RUN!

*purrs at IE7 and ASP*

Anyway,

GIMP
Filezilla
Opera
Digsby and some other programs :)

Jokimoto
July 30th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Skype, because I couldn't possibly afford all the minutes I've spent on international calls.

chucky chuckaluck
July 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
if i had just a browser, i could do stuff on the internet (surf, email, be a jerk on forums, etc.). eventually, i could probably make use of online apps. i guess someone could make a browser machine (like the old email machines).

if i were to pick a window manager, it would be kind of pointless if that were the only program i was allowed. the same with dmenu (what's the point if that's your only app?).

if i were to pick a music player, it would have to have a streamripper plugin. exaile is the only one i can think of where i could use streamripper and still use it to listen to the music i ripped (sorry, amarok).

gimp. there's a lot of stuff there. that's a big temptation.

what would i do with a file manager if that were my only app? look at my files like a stamp collector?

maybe i'm reading the question wrongly. maybe it means you can have a whole bunch of apps, but you only get to make a choice for one of them. the rest are not your first choice. in that case, i'd pick gimp. i can use opera, fairly easily, instead of firefox. being a music teacher, i could use the peace and quite for sure, but i don't need to rip music to listen to it. i can listen on a variety of apps (it's not like i don't have way too many cds). i can use any terminal and i can use any file manager. i don't need xterm or thunar (just don't stick me with konsole). i can use mousepad instead of nano. what else do use a computer for?

doorknob60
July 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Function (Main Comp/Laptop | Windows)

Web Browser (Konqueror/Iceweasel | Firefox)
IM Program (Kopete/Pidgin | Pidgin)
Terminal (Konsole/Xterm | Start > Shutdown > Restart :))
Music! (Amarok/None | WMP)

I also like WINE and Frets on Fire, but I guess I can live without...And SimCity 4 and Runescape HD :D

If I HAD to choose ONE and ONLY ONE app, it would be Firefox. Maybe Konqueror. Probably Firefox 32 bit though so I could use Java, and then I could use online apps for everything. Probably not Konqueror because every once in a while there's a site that doesn't work...and RS HD doesn't go in full screen with it :(

transgress
July 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
gwibber

i'm such a nut for microblogging sites... identi.ca is my default these days but i still update and read twitter and pownce.

mikjp
July 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
ssh client
for reading text files: less
email clients: alpine or mutt will do
usenet news: strn
downloading ISO images: wget

Lord Xeb
July 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
firefox

sstusick
July 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM
1) Pidgin
2) XChat
3) Firefox
4) Thunderbird

scannerdarkly
July 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
apt

tashmooclam
July 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Firefox is obviously essential. Actually it can be almost the only thing you need. Chat can be done through the browser at meebo.com, video chat also at tokbox. Pictures can be edited pretty well online at Picknick and a few others. With gmail and googledocs you don't need a word processor, spreadsheet, powerpoint or an email client. Skype is a program I use constantly. I also use Frostwire, F-spot (buggy), Banshee (simple interface), Google earth.

kitili
July 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM
irc,

we all have our crosses to bear...

djdarrin91
July 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Open Office, it has proven to be very useful:) for me anyway.

tom66
July 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Terminal, Firefox, gedit, Nautilus, X(11), GRUB & the Linux kernel itself.

CastilleV
July 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I would have to say......GIMP. Yes I love wine! But without GIMP I could not do any type of graphics, and that would suck! Although I could use the less conformative program known as Xpaint....

Darkade
August 2nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I just can't live without Pidgin LOL.

dragos240
August 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Firefox. I can't live without moar intarnetz!!!one!!

sujoy
August 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
mplayer -> i watch lots of movies :)