PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dist-upgrade doesn't pull down new packages?

nightmarestreet
July 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hi folks,

Is it true that aptitude dist-upgrade simply upgrades existing packages but won't pull down any new ones? Does the graphical "update manager" solve this problem?

avtolle
July 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Both will only update packages that are already installed. To install new packages from the repositories, use the Add/Remove feature under Applications, or Synaptic (System>>Administration>>Synaptic Package Manager).

nightmarestreet
July 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
So what is the correct way of upgrading every 6 months to the new release? Obviously I'd like to get the new packages in addition to upgrading my existing ones...

Sef
July 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
So what is the correct way of upgrading every 6 months to the new release? Obviously I'd like to get the new packages in addition to upgrading my existing ones...

The best way is a clean install, i.e. reinstall. There are fewer problems that way than by with the update manager. However, you have to reset all your settings.

steveneddy
July 26th, 2008, 05:14 AM
The best way is a clean install, i.e. reinstall. There are fewer problems that way than by with the update manager. However, you have to reset all your settings.

I agree. Total reinstall after a backup of /home is the way to go.

kostkon
July 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hi folks,

Is it true that aptitude dist-upgrade simply upgrades existing packages but won't pull down any new ones? Does the graphical "update manager" solve this problem?

I don't know about aptitude but better do it using the Update Manager.

The upgrade process will update your current packages, will install any new ones needed for the new version and will obviously remove any that are not needed anymore.

nightmarestreet
July 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Ahh, damn. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Although I suppose I can do an actual reinstall for every LTS release, and use update manager for the others.

Anyway thanks for clearing that up :)

EDIT: Are you sure about that Kostkon? That conflicts with what Avtolle said...

hansdown
July 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM
My mantra is "a clean install fixes all". Just my preference.