PDA

View Full Version : What New Plugin Would You Want for Compiz?

aaaantoine
July 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
How would you take advantage of the GPU-based compositing that Compiz offers us? What plugin would you like to see that probably doesn't exist yet?

I'll start:

Instead of glxgears spinning inside the cube... A 3D hamster running on a wheel. :lolflag:

Ub1476
July 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I would like to see good integration with multi-touch interface (has recently been added to X). I think they are already working on that though, with all this resizing and rotating of windows etc.

Eredeath
July 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I would like to able to zoom out to the cube (maybe by holding a couple buttons) then be able to spin it with the mouse to give it inertia so that when i let go of the mouse button it still spins!

barbedsaber
July 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I would like to able to zoom out to the cube (maybe by holding a couple buttons) then be able to spin it with the mouse to give it inertia so that when i let go of the mouse button it still spins!

ooh, that would be awesome. I would like it to make coffee. on a more serious note, I'd like to see compiz devs working with the devs of other apps, so that, for instance, when you get an email in thunderbird, the new mail thing is animated.

HansKisaragi
July 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
A plugin that fixes the OpenGL flickering in open window with ATi cards? :\ .. or is there already a workaround?

FlyingIsFun1217
July 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see compiz devs working with the devs of other apps

Integration would be nice.

Personally, I'd love to see a plugin that switches to your native manager (gnome, kde, xfce, etc.) when your laptop is unplugged.

FlyingIsFun1217

arsenic23
July 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I turn off most of the compiz plugins anyway...

What I would like to see is other programs using 3d acceleration smartly. I'd love it if programs like gedit and Opera... well Firefox, I guess as I can't imagine Opera working on linux only features; I'd love it if they could exposé their tabs. I could also go for a 3d file manager, if it focused on being efficiant and not just pretty.

Though now that I'm thinking of it, I'd more then likely use a plugin that moved whatever I was dragging forward a bit. Folders, windows, my mouse curser. Or if the mouse pointer was always a little forward and it dove down when you clicked.

olskar
July 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
A plugin that fixes the OpenGL flickering in open window with ATi cards? :\ .. or is there already a workaround?

+1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1!

But I think that is in the hands of the ATI Developers..

hessiess
July 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
a pluging that deletes compiz form your computer and dosnt let you reinstall without formatting :lolflag:

days_of_ruin
July 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I want windows to have momentum so I can flick em with the mouse
and watch them zoom around the cube!Zoomed out of course:D

cardinals_fan
July 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM
An "Erase every trace of this weird window manager from my system" effect :)

bobbocanfly
July 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
a pluging that deletes compiz form your computer and dosnt let you reinstall without formatting :lolflag:

sudo apt-get purge apt dpkg compiz* build-essentialWARNING: DO NOT RUN THIS CODE, IT WILL MESS YOUR SYSTEM UP BAD

zachtib
July 26th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm all for the integration with apps. One nice touch I'd like to see, for instance, is when fullscreening a running video in Banshee (or whatever video player you like), have the running video scale to fit the screen while the rest of the screen fades to black

armageddon08
July 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
The ripple effect in Beryl was awesome. I wish the CF devs could port it to Compiz-fusion.

barbedsaber
July 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
How about (using amarok as an example, but any notification could work) when a new song plays in amarok, and that thing comes up in the middle of the screen. If that could stay for a second, and then "glint" (have the effect of the light source moving across the screen) complete with lens flare and everything. I just think that would be awesome.