PDA

View Full Version : "Software as a service"

Kernel Sanders
July 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Am I the only one that fears this impending trend? One thing is certain, It WILL happen, and I hope to god Linux is still going strong when it does so that we can all be saved, along with our ever thinner wallets.

For those that don't know what i'm talking about, "software as a service" is the aim of every software maker in existance, and it's a lot closer than i'd like. The keyword is subscription. Think of average Joe going to buy a new PC, and then coming home to discover that he has a crippled system. He has to turn on the computer, type in his credit card details, and select what he want's (probably in package form). Microsoft will manage all this remotely, and keep it all up to date for just $X per month. When new versions come out, they'll sort that out for him to for a one off payment of $X and then $X per month. Companies like Adobe will also do the same for their photoshop/dreamweaver software for $X per month. So he'll still have his shiney and functional computer. It will probably be stable and do everything he needs, and he doesn't have to worry about a thing, it's all managed automatically by remote, updated, installed, hotfixed, the lot. The only downside is that Average Joe has entered into a never ending subscription for the privilage, and his digital life is an open book to everyone he pays money to, and the authourities. Want to see what Joe is working on? No probs!

YAY! :rolleyes:

It's the future, and it's what every single software maker is working towards. In fact, i'd be surprised if it is more than 10 years away :(

I genuinly fear for this. It will probably come with "trusted computing" and other such privacy destroying, expensive nonsense.

I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER, enter such an arrangement. No, you can have my digital privacy when you can pry my Ubuntu Laptop from my cold dead hands! :mad:

Paqman
July 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER, enter such an arrangement. No, you can have my digital privacy when you can pry my Ubuntu Laptop from my cold dead hands! :mad:

Is it as much doom and gloom as you make out? Email has been provided as a free service for many years now, and Google (for example) has a large and ever-expanding library of free online apps, including an office suite.

It all depends on what business model companies choose. Some stuff will be free and ad-supported, some will try and charge a subscription. I know which ones i'll be using.

bks
July 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Wouldn't that be something?! You get the privilage of paying to bring home your a new computer and then you can subscribe to use it. So basically it's not your comupter, you're just renting it. And to think that the general public may actually put up with this because the corporates say so.

RiceMonster
July 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I hope something like this never happens.

Barrucadu
July 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM
So basically it's not your comupter, you're just renting it.
Isn't that in the Windows EULA somewhere?

BrokeBody
July 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I hope something like this never happens.

It already happened long time ago, and it has only grabbed the surface so far. SaaS is already here, and it is here to stay. :(

BrokeBody
July 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Isn't that in the Windows EULA somewhere?

Yes, it is.

Erdaron
July 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
While this is a definite possibility, I don't think it's that terrifying. If this meant, for example, that going from XP to Vista to W7 didn't mean ponying up $300 every time, it'd be alright. In fact, this could reduce up-front cost of software, since they would be able to recoup much greater profits in maintenance. That bit could be just wishful thinking, though.

And I don't think it really infringes privacy. Just because they know you're running Photoshop, doesn't mean they know what is it that you do with it.

Besides, FOSS will never die.

original_jamingrit
July 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
SaaS is usually in reference to web oriented and server side software. There is a practice of 'renting' or 'leasing' software, but that usually just for office and business software.

SaaS on the web actually is a good thing. Examples include the servers you'd connect to Usenet through, e-mail, online storage for files and media (like Photobucket or Flickr), etc; Obviously not all of these are stuff you need to pay for, but somebody is paying for them. For example, my ISP offers me access to a newserver as part of my Internet connection package. An MMO game would also qualify as SaaS, and there are a few FLOSS MMOs currently in early development. (You have to pay to use their server, but the software is free, and maybe there would be free software to make your own server with?)

Also, web-based SaaS is actually very good for FOSS. Business clients may use or improvise free software clients to engage in a SaaS, or SaaS transaction.

SaaS is definitely not the same as trusted computing, but proprietary SaaS will almost certainly have some form of Trusted Computing or DRM.

Methuselah
July 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
There is a difference between voluntarily accessing a service on the web and having YOUR machine compulsorily transformed into a brainless appendage of microsoft.com.

Even now windows machines can be substantially controlled.
Certain activities are monitored and they can be shutdown or have functionality reduced at the mothership's will.
Much of the technology is already there to make windows available on a subscription only basis.
The marketing department only has to sell it to people.

But they sell Vista's DRM as 'enabling' the watching of HD content and EI7's built-in 'phishing filter' spyware as 'security' feature (lol) so I have little faith the majority won't dine when Microsoft sets the next table.

eragon100
July 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Wouldn't that be something?! You get the privilage of paying to bring home your a new computer and then you can subscribe to use it. So basically it's not your comupter, you're just renting it. And to think that the general public may actually put up with this because the corporates say so.

It's still youre computer, because nobody forbids you to download/install ubuntu on it, right? (and to install ubuntu you offcourse don't have a monthly payment to make :))

It's just not your operating system, and whit windows, that has never been the case.

So what is the problem?