PDA

View Full Version : How to express daytime in English

aaron792
July 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
In a forum, the online users at daytime (form 8 am to 12 pm)are often more than the users at night (from 12 pm to 8am (next day)).

Then in Englsh, can I use this sentence :
(1)The average number of daytime online users in this forum exceeds 1500.

to mean:

(2)The average number of online users in this forum between 8 am and 12 pm exceed 1500.

I feel "between 8 am and 12 pm" is a little long.
Is there any better expression in English?
Thanks in advance!

lordadi
July 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi,

1) Daytime is long - 6AM to 9PM during summer where I am
2) The sentence is relative to you because the question "which time zone?" arises

So I would recommend "The average number of morning online users in this forum exceeds 1500." Again the sentence remains relative (to the speaker) but I can see no other way for now.

Cheers,

Lordadi.

HotShotDJ
July 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Again the sentence remains relative (to the speaker) but I can see no other way for now.To get around this problem, simply operationally define your terms. For example, if you want a simple "night/day" contrast, you can define "daytime" as 8:00 AM to 7:59 PM UTC and "nighttime" as 8:00 PM to 7:59 AM UTC. (Or, you can choose a time-zone, as long as you state which one you are talking about.)

As long as you define your terms, there should be no confusion -- there might be arguments regarding your labels, but there will be no misunderstanding what you're saying. Personally, I'd simply say "Period A and Period B" and be done with it.

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM

that's only four hours.

aaron792
July 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi,

1) Daytime is long - 6AM to 9PM during summer where I am
2) The sentence is relative to you because the question "which time zone?" arises

So I would recommend "The average number of morning online users in this forum exceeds 1500." Again the sentence remains relative (to the speaker) but I can see no other way for now.

Cheers,

Lordadi.

Lordadi, thanks for your reply. But I felt the morining online user is not so appropriate. I prefer HotShotDj's idea.

To get around this problem, simply operationally define your terms. For example, if you want a simple "night/day" contrast, you can define "daytime" as 8:00 AM to 7:59 PM UTC and "nighttime" as 8:00 PM to 7:59 AM UTC. (Or, you can choose a time-zone, as long as you state which one you are talking about.)

As long as you define your terms, there should be no confusion -- there might be arguments regarding your labels, but there will be no misunderstanding what you're saying. Personally, I'd simply say "Period A and Period B" and be done with it.

Yes, you're right, HotShotDJ. Thanks!

that's only four hours.
No, actuall I mean the length of the phrase is long. :lolflag:

saulgoode
July 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I would recommend using the term "during daytime" or, more specifically, "during daytime hours (8:00AM to 11:59PM)".

You should avoid using 12:00 PM or 12:00 AM in describing time; it is entirely unclear as to whether noon or midnight is meant. "12:00 noon" or "12:00 midnight" is preferable, though avoiding midnight altogether is better still. "Midnight" leaves it open as to whether it occurs at the beginning or end of the day.

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
No, actuall I mean the length of the phrase is long. :lolflag:

oh, well that is different as one would not wish to have a phrase that is too long, particularly if one wishes to be concise in what is being said and also, does not wish to engage the audience too long for fear of losing their oh so valuable attention.

LowSky
July 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
oh, well that is different as one would not wish to have a phrase that is too long, particularly if one wishes to be concise in what is being said and also, does not wish to engage the audience too long for fear of losing their oh so valuable attention.

I lost interest about 12 words in :lolflag:

to answer the question
I would say this way, "More than 1500 users are using the forum during the morning." I understand most cultures have different standards to the definition but anytime between sun-up and noon is morning in America.

popch
July 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
"People use the forum while the sun is up".

8-)

joninkrakow
July 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM

8-)

Them's what we call "daylight hours." ;-)

-Jon

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
"after four jumps, frog goes deaf."

popch
July 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
"after four jumps, frog goes deaf."

In, like, daytime? There must exist a treatment, I'm sure.

I AM SURE, I SAID.

Foster Grant
July 26th, 2008, 04:04 AM

8-)

Where they are. :D

But hackers keep unusual hours.

hansdown
July 26th, 2008, 04:31 AM
In a forum, the online users at daytime (form 8 am to 12 pm)are often more than the users at night (from 12 pm to 8am (next day)).

Then in Englsh, can I use this sentence :
(1)The average number of daytime online users in this forum exceeds 1500.

to mean:

(2)The average number of online users in this forum between 8 am and 12 pm exceed 1500.

Is there any better expression in English?
Thanks in advance!

Hi aaron792. What chucky chuchaluck was trying to point out is you are comparing 8a.m. to 12p.m. (4 hours) to 12p.m. to 8a.m. (20 hours). You would need to calculate a percentage of 24 or a ratio of 1:5.

ebutton
July 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
It's dark outside. It's been that way for a few hours. It has, alas, been dark inside, interminably. I, however, try to look on the bright side, constantly.

popch
July 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Where they are. :D

But hackers keep unusual hours.

That has never been sorted out in this thread: are there most user when the server experiences daylight - or, indeed, morning - or when the users do.

Given the data given by the OP, both the server and the users appear to be living in the same time zone.