View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB Stick gets initramfs; was working

July 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM
After years of debate I decided to pull an all nighter and figure this linux thing out. In short Ubuntu is very impressive considering my tribulations over the last 15 years with Windows.

USB stick set up through:
https://launchpad.net/liveusb -- probono

I was able to run a USB stick on 8.04 through several successful boots and confirmed internet usage open office, ect. Content that things were working I moved on to change the FF home page and DL Flashplayer. However after I downloaded flashplayer for firefox (so I could view you tube) I shut down and tried to reload, just to make sure the effects took place; failed.
I now get a lot of:

"Cannot open /dev/scdo: no medium found"
" : no such file"

after a wall time of about 20 minutes Ive got a couple
"Buffer I/O error on device sbd, logic block 0" too.

The USB Stick Sanddisk Cruizer 1GB is in Fat 16 with 280 GB of room left on it. Its on a Dell D600 laptop (fully updated). I error checked the USB and that didnt help. The only thing I can think is that the problem happened after I tried to save changes. But all I did was 1.) change the Firefox home page 2.) download and install flashplayer 9 for FF so I could view youtube stuff; which worked btw.

Maybe it saved my changes to the USB in something other then FAT16? Or perhaps this is just to much for the USB: Cruizer 1 GB?
I changed no settings or did any goofing around. On the shutdown I didnt yank out the USB mid-way or anything. The Stick is known good, gets pretty warm with extended use though. I let it cool down still wont load.

Any ideas? Sorry for long post.