PDA

View Full Version : Flash not crashing FF3 anymore?

BigSilly
July 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
OK, don't want to get too excited in case the issue is just hiding from me at the moment, but I used to suffer the infamous Flash crash with FF3, and with today's updates it seems to have gone!

I've been faffing about on YouTube since updating, opening all sorts of clips and movies, and usually that would be enough and it would shut down. But so far, after the 3.01 update today, I'm getting nothing at all. It's working great! Anyone else, or just me?

gn2
July 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Haven't noticed any difference, but I had previously fixed it by removing libflashsupport and pulse audio anyway.

BigSilly
July 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
It's definitely better for me. Still on YouTube (which was a guaranteed crash after only a small amount of usage), and it's perfectly stable. I'm really thrilled about that, because the crashes were driving me mental!

No one else then?

BigSilly
July 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Gah! Spoke too soon. Down it goes.

Bugger. Sorry people. :( Remove this thread if you wish mods...

billgoldberg
July 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Haven't noticed any difference, but I had previously fixed it by removing libflashsupport and pulse audio anyway.

Idem dito.

I still even use the flashblock add-on.

Hells_Dark
July 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Never had any firefox crash since hardy (using pulse audio, etc).

nick09
July 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I do have a problem sometimes that the flash object turns into a gray sheet but that is fixed by X --> Save tabs option and loading Firefox again.

keiichidono
July 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Gah! Spoke too soon. Down it goes.

Bugger. Sorry people. :( Remove this thread if you wish mods...
Read this guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900) to fix flash issues. It worked perfectly for me. :D

Lster
July 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Maybe if we're lucky, Flash 10 will be included in Intrepid? That might help, but I don't get many crashes now.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/flash-experience-intrepid

BigSilly
July 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice and replies guys. :)

Is this an Ubuntu-centric problem then, or does it occur on other distros that use FF3? FF2 never used to crash like this on older Ubuntus, and my other install (Mandriva Spring 2008 ), which uses FF2 doesn't suffer the same problem either.

Thanks again.

L815
July 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM
It didn't crash for me unless I installed libflashsupport, no matter which version of flash I used.

The only issue that really annoyed me was the sound bug with flash and other applications using sound.

dizee
July 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
i have neither pulseaudio nor libflashsupport installed in xubuntu but flash is still really buggy.

it's generally ok playing videos as long as you leave them to play straight through. also, it doesn't turn to a grey box if you change tab like it used to. but if i try to jump to a certain point, sometimes it works but more times than not it crashes. it's a pain - hopefully adobe'll sort it out or the opensource one will become good enough for day to day use. this is using opera btw. i'll test Fx and get back to you ;)

hmmm... preliminary tests seem to indicate Fx is much better for flash.
strange.

BigSilly
July 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Just followed the guide someone posted up earlier to fix this, but sadly it didn't work for me. In fact it made it worse! It crashed almost every time I tried to view a video, so I returned it to the original state.

Opera seems to be fine with Flash, so I'll just use that if I need to. I mentioned earlier - is this an Ubuntu-centric issue then, or is FF3 fine with Flash on other distros? Suse 11.0 and Fedora 9 use FF3 don't they?