PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] editing config files using sudo?

timsmith
July 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hi,

I want to try to use Mutt to view my gmail. Trouble is I've not got a clue how to use the sudo commands except to say that they are for administrative purposes. I've read through the wiki which says that anything can be done using sudo. I need to add lines to /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (as explained in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565326) I have opened this file in text editor but I cannot save the file because I am not 'root' and cannot save to filesystem.... I think I need to use sudo somehow and I've searched the forums and used google but I'm still confused as to how to use the command line...

Sorry, I think I've been windozed for far too long... :-(

Thanks in advance!

Tim

quibbler
July 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Code:

gksudo gedit /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

regards quibbler

SunnyRabbiera
July 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
sudo doesnt do much on its own, thus why people suggest typing in further commands.

iaculallad
July 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Code:

sudo gedit /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

regards quibbler

Make it a practice to use gksudo when invoking GUI-based applications to perform changes w/c needs privileges.

gksudo gedit /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

And stick to sudo when using terminal commands w/c needs privilege.

sudo vi /etc/fstab
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Iceni
July 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I want to try to use Mutt to view my gmail. Trouble is I've not got a clue how to use the sudo commands except to say that they are for administrative purposes. I've read through the wiki which says that anything can be done using sudo. I need to add lines to /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (as explained in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565326) I have opened this file in text editor but I cannot save the file because I am not 'root' and cannot save to filesystem.... I think I need to use sudo somehow and I've searched the forums and used google but I'm still confused as to how to use the command line...

Sorry, I think I've been windozed for far too long... :-(

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Let me try to explain. As I understand, you don't get the concept of sudo.

In windows (XP) you are usually administrator, and all the time full access and every right over your system.

However, in Ubuntu you are a user, lacking the right to make changes that could potentially harm your system. Basicly you are only allowed to change files in your /home/ directory and make safe system changes like changing wallpaper or similar harmless actions.

Here is the brilliance of sudo. When you use "sudo" before a command and then type your password, you are the administrator for a short time (I belive 15 min). So to install programs, change files outside your /home/ or change potentially critical settings, you need to be root - use sudo.

I hope this helps:)

timsmith
July 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Great, I think I'm starting to get it. Thanks

The next issue I have is that I need to reset the file permissions for the file

~/.fetchmailrc

I'm using

chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc

however, i get the following error message:

chmod: changing permissions of `/home/administrator/.fetchmailrc': Operation not permitted

any ideas why this isn't permitted?

Thanks again!

aeiah
July 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
are you sure .fetchmailrc exists first? files beginning with a . are hidden. in nautilus you can see hidden files by hitting ctrl+h, or you could use the 'ls -a' command on the command line.

if it doesnt exist you'll have to create it first.

touch .fetchmailrc

im only saying it because from a google it seems to not exist and you have to create it first, then chmod 600.

additionally, you dont need to specify your home directory with ~/ if you're there already. by default in a terminal you start off in your home directory

t0p
July 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM

~/.fetchmailrc

I'm using

chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc

chmod: changing permissions of `/home/administrator/.fetchmailrc': Operation not permitted

When an operation is "not permitted", this is generally a time to use sudo. Files in your home directory generally belong to you, so I don't know why you can't edit ~/.fetchmailrc. But still, try

sudo chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc

andrew.46
October 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Hi timsmith:

~/.fetchmailrc

I'm using

chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc

I have altered this guide a little to give the command lines for creating and modifying these files. Sorry for leaving the instructions a little confusing :-).

If you have not already solved this, the results shuld be similar to this:

andrew@skamandros:~$ ls -l $HOME/.fetchmailrc
-rw------- 1 andrew andrew 746 2008-10-22 22:34 /home/andrew/.fetchmailrc

Andrew