PDA

View Full Version : Code::Blocks 8.02 help can't compile anything

benzi
July 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I am a new Linux(Hardy) user and also a beginner in coding. I dled Code::Blocks 8.02 but have been unable to compile anything at all using it. Currently I still do not have g++ installed but even building a C code in Code::Blocks failed.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
printf("Hello world!\n");
return 0;
}

I get:
error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory

Really a noob question but really need help.

Thank you very much.

Zugzwang
July 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Read the stickies about compiling your first C program. Although you are using an IDE, you still have to follow the instructions for the first time.

Frederick J. Harris
July 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I just discovered Code::Blocks yesterday and installed it for Windows. I had been using Dev C++ for a lot of the C/C++ coding I do, but the Code::Blocks looks pretty neat. I havn't installed it yet under Linux, but there is a footnote there about having to add some additional repositories to your sources.lst file. Also, you need for sure to have the build-essential package installed because all the libraries and utilities are in there. I don't know whether or not the Ubuntu download of Code::Blocks would install that stuff. This is the first time I've ever saw a download package for a Linux/Ubuntu program seperate from the 'repositories' concept? (I'm rather new to Linux too).

WW
July 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
benzi: Follow the instructions in "Step 0" here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=689635). (This is what "Read the stickies..." means.)

Frederick J. Harris
July 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
You could test whether you have build essential installed by trying to compile your Hello, World! program in the terminal.
If the name of the file is HelloWorld.c this is the syntax...

gcc HelloWorld.c -o HelloWorld

You could put it in your /home directory, open Terminal to there, and run the above. To run the program type...

./HelloWorld [ENTER]

if it compiles.