PDA

View Full Version : The strangest thing just happened :o

L815
July 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM
So, I'm going through a phase of distro hoppin trying to find one I can use with minimal problems as my main OS on this laptop.

I use a DVD-RW to burn the Live/Install iso's and have had no issues so far.

I saw that OpenSUSE 11.1 ALPHA just came out on distrowatch, and I decided to give it a try again since it came with kde4.1.

Booted up, installed it and then reboot.

Upon reboot, I noticed I got that strange grub screen waiting for me to tell it something to do. I didn't know what the hell to do.

I knew this might happen since it clearly stated the Alpha version had some issues. I wasn't angry, just disappointed I couldn't try out 11.1.

Since I have a partition with Vista Home Premium for backup & School work, I decided to pop in the install disk for Vista Business given to me from my college to fix the boot record so I can boot into Vista and download a different distro.

Upon reaching the detecting phase, I noticed no Vista was detected, I though "weird :/" but went on to the command prompt to execute "bootrec.exe /fixmbr".

It said everything executed OK, so I was expecting to boot up to Vista.

I reboot and noticed that SUSE booted up to finish it's installation (like suse always does for an install). I found it the strangest thing that Vista fixed SUSES boot loader, but not it's own haha (could be that Vista wasn't detected), but none the less it fixed suses boot loader.

Well, that's it. I found it hilarious, and entertaining. Hopefully I didn't waste your time :popcorn:

Trail
July 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
"weird://"

fixed.

madjr
July 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
i guess is a patent thing :lolflag:

chris4585
July 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Very nice, I find that funny too, good job Vista, looks like you're still doing half the job, but in a logical way this time. heh heh

Eclipse.
July 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2008-07/msg00022.html

With the current bootloader issue, using the DVDs for installing is not
recommended, until we have a workaround. Please try the LiveCDs instead!