PDA

View Full Version : I got my friend's mom using linux :p

Lord Xeb
July 25th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I haven't asked her what she thinks of it (I want her to try it out). I installed it on a Compaq 5838 :D

Also, she is using linux mint <_<

Joeb454
July 25th, 2008, 01:50 AM
It'd be nice if we could find out what she thinks after a week or so

steveneddy
July 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM
cool

Lord Xeb
July 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah, and I told her that she will never have any problems with viruses (I said never since the fact there are so few virus for *NIX). Also, I got pidgin working for her so if she has problems, I told her to contact me. She uses the same distro as I do so it is easy :D. Also, RoadRunner kept on saying that she needed to install RoadRunner. I told them that I have roadrunner (which is true) and there is no installation required. Just activate it. The lady I was talking to gave me trouble and acted like she know what she was talking about, then when I ask where she was getting her info, she got pissed and sent me to tech and I got her internet activated (well, on its started anyway) in about 5 minutes. <_<

LaRoza
July 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I hope her computing experiences are smooth.

If you run into problems, remember you and she can always use the forum!

picpak
July 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
My mom uses Ubuntu. She loves it.

madjr
July 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I haven't asked her what she thinks of it (I want her to try it out). I installed it on a Compaq 5838 :D

Also, she is using linux mint <_<

she is better off with linuxmint till she gets a complete hang of things

barbedsaber
July 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
My grandma uses mint.

Prefix100
July 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
My grandma uses mint.

That is way to awesome.

I still haven't converted any family members yet, they think vista is 'Beautiful'.

frup
July 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
My grandparents are fine using it one their laptop, all they do is use firefox (very very occasionally) and evolution.

The biggest problem was setting up the printer, it's a brother and brothers drivers are GPL but only for ethernet/wifi printing not USB. This caused a problem as at their house they have a 1 port ethernet router. To get printing working I had to make Ubuntu 8.04 work with both an ad-hoc wireless to the printer and the ethernet to the router going. This took me 12 hours to set up (reading way to achieve this, manually configuring the interfaces etc.) 8.04 can't do this by default and the way I have done this requires some comands in rc.local BUT it's hackish.

I like the fact that my grandparents use Ubuntu but no way would they have been able to do that themselves. People can use Ubuntu but it still has enough problem to improve on.

barbedsaber
July 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
That is way to awesome.

I still haven't converted any family members yet, they think vista is 'Beautiful'.

In all honesty, it wasn't that hard. She was sick of waiting for XP to shutdown, she got really pissed off, and threw her laptop. SURPRISE SURPRISE, it wouldn't boot. :-k . With me being the family IT guy, I had to find a solution. I had an old laptop laying around, but I err, couldn't find a valid windows license. ;) . I would normally pirate something like that, but those people at microsoft, umm, worked really hard, and err, I couldn't bring myself to do it. ;) so I guess the only solution was to use linux :) I wanted to try out linpus (http://www.linpus.com/xampp/modules/cjaycontent/), but it wouldn't boot. My next point of call was linux mint. Now she likes it better than she did XP, and is glad that I couldn't find a copy of XP. ahh, yeah 8-[ :) .

Prefix100
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
In all honesty, it wasn't that hard. She was sick of waiting for XP to shutdown, she got really pissed off, and threw her laptop. SURPRISE SURPRISE, it wouldn't boot. :-k . With me being the family IT guy, I had to find a solution. I had an old laptop laying around, but I err, couldn't find a valid windows license. ;) . I would normally pirate something like that, but those people at microsoft, umm, worked really hard, and err, I couldn't bring myself to do it. ;) so I guess the only solution was to use linux :) I wanted to try out linpus (http://www.linpus.com/xampp/modules/cjaycontent/), but it wouldn't boot. My next point of call was linux mint. Now she likes it better than she did XP, and is glad that I couldn't find a copy of XP. ahh, yeah 8-[ :) .

Haha, good tip I'll try that next time.

Northsider
July 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
For people who just surf the net and occasionally make a word doc...I don't think they really care what OS they are using, as long as it conencts to the internet.

cardinals_fan
July 28th, 2008, 04:32 AM
My mom uses Arch. I live at home (I'm only 15, so don't look at me like that!), and she likes to use my computer. Therefore, she uses whatever distro I have installed :)