PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] question about ssh server authentication

ptn107
July 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have set myself up for automatic authentication on my server via ssh, by adding my public key (id_dsa.pub) to the servers ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file.

Now when I ssh to my server I am no longer asked for a password, yet every tutorial I read says that if authentication is set up properly it should ask for the passphrase to my key. Any ideas?

I have noticed that if I connect using the -v (verbose) option I eventually see:

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/phil/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Offering public key: /home/phil/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-dss blen 433
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.

Does that mean it's working?

Xerp
July 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
If you didn't set a passphrase, then it won't ask you for one :)

ptn107
July 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have typed a passphrase when I generated the private and public keys.

Vivaldi Gloria
July 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
authorized_keys2 is used in older implementations of OpenSSH. This file is still consulted for backward compatibility, but it has been deprecated. Only authorized_keys should be used to store public keys for users. Multiple keys are allowed in authorized_keys.

I don't know if using authorized_keys2 is the cause of your problem but try using authorized_keys.

ptn107
July 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
authorized_keys2 is used in older implementations of OpenSSH. This file is still consulted for backward compatibility, but it has been deprecated. Only authorized_keys should be used to store public keys for users. Multiple keys are allowed in authorized_keys.

Yeah I am aware of this. I've been reading through SSH: The Secure Shell by O'Reilly and it makes mention of this. However it is not the problem. When using authorized_keys it still doesn't ask me for anything when I connect. I suspect that Ubuntu's default configuration for ssh has something to do with this.

Vivaldi Gloria
July 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
You have not added the key to shh-agent, have you? It won't ask the passphrase in that case.

Mister.Vash
July 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Your ssh password is stored in the gnome-keyring in hardy now. If you want to be prompted for a password run gconf-editor navigate to the /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh key and uncheck it. I don't recall if this is a dynamic change or requires a restart of gnome

ptn107
July 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Your ssh password is stored in the gnome-keyring in hardy now. If you want to be prompted for a password run gconf-editor navigate to the /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh key and uncheck it. I don't recall if this is a dynamic change or requires a restart of gnome

Yep this was the reason. Thanks.