PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What is the Best E-Mail program for Ubuntu?

dbrannick
July 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I've been using Thunderbird and swiftdove (thunderbird like) email programs for some time now but find them lacking in many regards. What other email programs are people using and if you respond, what makes them a better choice? I've heard people mention evolution but how do I move (easily) from Thunderbird to evolution if this is the best choice?
thanks to all.

BDNiner
July 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Are you looking for an Outlook replacement? I have tried both Thunderbird and evolution and they are both lacking when compared to outlook.

Potatoj316
July 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolution is more like microsoft outlook than thunderbird is. It has more features, but not really more email features. evolution is a calander, email client, and some other things i think. to transition you probably can export your contacts from thunderbird then import them into evolution

dbrannick
July 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't say that I wanted an Outlook replacement although I use Outlook at work all day long. I was just looking for something that was better than Thunderbird. Have you used Evolution? Are there any issues with this product?
thanks.

halitech
July 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I use thunderbird and evolution and I find TB is faster at responding but can be a little touchier on sending emails to people you havent configured in your address book. Evolutuon I find is more feature rich but slower at opening and writting emails.

I use both with an ISP mail and a gmail account using IMAP and in that way, they seem equal.

Xerp
July 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I use mutt a lot :)

http://www.mutt.org/

nhasian
July 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
not sure what features your looking for, but I'm really happy with Thunderbird. I use it to connect to various imap servers and I can do my mail from windows, or linux and it all looks the same. plus there are lots of plugins for thunderbird too.

Bachstelze
July 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I use mutt a lot :)

http://www.mutt.org/

Ditto.

duckfeet
July 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I started out w/Pine on Unix, and've been thru all the others, and I'll tell you, I *too* think Thunderbird is the best...I can put all the other stuff on my Browser if I need it: all I want on email is email, and Thunderbird has less junk... Hell, I've got it--and Opera browser--on my Mac, and my XP setup too...