PDA

View Full Version : Linux Press Releases

adamogardner
July 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm sure Ubuntulinux has a PR team. I'm just wondering why I never hear about Linux in the news. It doesn't take terror to get into the mainstream media , but rather a phone call and a Linux event. Or a new Linux distro release or whatever. Showing off a desktop to the common people does little in the way of introducing someone to the concept that this operating system is acceptable. That's where the pretty liar on FOX news comes in. The press release (how ever unimportant the event) lays stark claim to the fact that we are Linux is here.

wrtpeeps
July 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sure Ubuntulinux has a PR team. I'm just wondering why I never hear about Linux in the news. It doesn't take terror to get into the mainstream media , but rather a phone call and a Linux event. Or a new Linux distro release or whatever. Showing off a desktop to the common people does little in the way of introducing someone to the concept that this operating system is acceptable. That's where the pretty liar on FOX news comes in. The press release (how ever unimportant the event) lays stark claim to the fact that we are Linux is here.

It is not that easy to get on the news,

Major news (which is basically all the ones on tv) only report on what people are interested in.

How much of the population do you think wants to know that next sunday there is a gathering in some centre about the evils of windows?

iDaniel
July 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I personally think that Linux is going to start having an even bigger percentage of the home OS market share within the next 5-10 years, maybe sooner.

I mean, they're even selling copies of Ubuntu at Best Buy now! It's only a matter of time before some sort of widely-distributed media starts picking up on it.

adamogardner
July 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
It is not that easy to get on the news,

If picking the phone with news is difficult, then yes, getting into the news is difficult. I never had a problem anytime I felt inclined to do so. two letters, a photo, and a qote in a front page article all because I picked up the phone. 1 person can do this!

23meg
July 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
So do it.

adamogardner
July 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
i just got ubuntu, and that is not news. I don't have events and distros unfolding otherwise I certainly would. I'm hardly potent in this regard.

23meg
July 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
You may want to get in touch with the marketing team.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam

adamogardner
July 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
hey thanks. come to think of it, I could use a cushy job so why not?