PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where the heck is my boot partition? New install won't boot!

MountainX
July 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure why my new 8.4.1-server intall will not boot. I think my /boot partition can't be found.

I have four identical hard drives on one controller (LSI MegaRAID 320-2E). I created a /boot partition (unencrypted) on one drive during install. I also created a / partition (encrypted) on that drive. So that drive has 2 paritions. I created one partition on each of the other drives. Then I completed installation and rebooted. (Many times.) No boot. No error message. Only a blank screen and a blinking cursor.

I burned Super Grub Disk. It shows 4 partitions (not the 5 that I created). All are the same size. Where did my /boot partition go? (I have other disks on another controller... but that is actually unplugged at the moment for troubleshooting.)

What to do? Re-install? Well I've been trying that for 3 days, so I need new ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

MountainX
July 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I removed all my HDD's except one and I made that one a passthrough drive. Then I installed as before except that I didn't make a separate /boot partition. The install was successful.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the install to work when using multiple drives. I will have /home, /tmp, /var and swap on different spindles. /boot will be a separate partition because of encryption.

Any ideas about what my prior problem could be? As soon as I attempt an installation with a separate boot partition and/or multiple drives, I get the problem mentioned in this thread.

wpshooter
July 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM
If you are using the "manual" partitioning procedure, are you coming down to the "BOOTABLE" parameter (I think it is very near the end of the listing of partition parameters) when you create the /root partition and making it BOOTABLE ?

MountainX
July 25th, 2008, 01:11 AM
If you are using the "manual" partitioning procedure, are you coming down to the "BOOTABLE" parameter (I think it is very near the end of the listing of partition parameters) when you create the /root partition and making it BOOTABLE ?

Yes, I'm doing the manual partitioning. I am setting the bootable flag to "ON".

MountainX
August 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
SOLVED

See this post:
http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5499285#post5499285