View Full Version : [other] How to setup a database via SQL or whatever

July 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Okay... I have been trying to setup a database using MS Access for a while now at work, and while I can design the pages and everything just fine, I have no idea how to create an actual database that thing corresponds to.

Since this is a project for work, it has to be MS Access based.

Can anyone point to a very very basic tutorial on how to setup a database using MySQL or Access or whatever?

I figured that if anyone would know it would be the Ubuntu community. As a bonus incentive I have been trying to propose trying out the work we do on Ubuntu... being able to get this working fine may give me more credibility.

July 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM

That is one for Oracle on Ubuntu

That is one from MySQL Forge

You can install the database fairly easily on any unix system.
If you feel like learning something useful, you may learn how to manage everything SQL from the cli; but if you are used/want to use/ing GUIs, then your choices vary a little bit.

I have heard of PHP Admin being a good DBGUI, there is also the SQL administrator available in the repos that you can use, but it is more for maintenance.

Lots of choices, lots of customization, lots of support, and zero money.

Have fun. :)

July 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I will definitely use those links later. Unfortunately I have to set up the database under MS 'dows first. If anyone happens to know any links for that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

July 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I think mysql has a nice easy installer for windows machines. You can use the mysql GUI admin tools to set stuff up if you arn't familiar with it. phpmyadmin is real nice too and I suspect it's not that hard to set up on a windows machine running some kind of apache stack.

July 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ok, I think what you want to do is have something deb based that you can use to access an MS Access database.

If you want to access that database on your ubuntu box, then you can just use OpenOffice Base.

Or... If you want to expand your databse, build for functionality, expandability, and flexibility, then convert your old and busted MS Access database to a MySQL one. Links? You betcha.

The reasons to switch to MySQL are endless, that and it looks alot better on a resume. ;)

July 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
For somereason that posted twice... Ignore the man behind the curtain!