PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] compiz compatible graphic cards

mikedemario17
July 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
can some1 post a list of compiz compatible graphic cards...
just a long list of names...maby going from the oldest to newest graphic cards that can support it....:KS

era86
July 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
can some1 post a list of compiz compatible graphic cards...
just a long list of names...maby going from the oldest to newest graphic cards that can support it....:KS

I think you can find this information on the Compiz website. I would also check the hardware compatibility list in the Hardware and Laptops subforum.

Goodluck!:guitar:

LowSky
July 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
My recoomendation is go with either Intel or Nvidia. Intel becasue they have been very supportive toward driver development but they only offier onboard graphics, while Nvidia does that on graphic cards. I have use the Nforce 400 (I think? that was the name of the onboard), Geforce FX 5600, Geforce 7600 and the Geforce 8600GT. All seem to work with little or no issues. Al least for me. While my ATI based laptop has some issues, for instance I cannot use GoogleEarth and Compiz at the same time. Probably a simple issue but I dont care enough to fix it.

mikedemario17
July 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
well my g-mas getting a new pc so i get her old 1...its a windows xp pro
(5.1, build 2600) with ati radeon xpress 200 series graphics card ...and 960MB RAM so i need to know if that will work on it.... its a 3-d card so it should

markbuntu
July 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
A little advice, when you install Ubuntu onto that computer it will give you a message that a restricted driver is available. Get it immediately and enable it. If you mess around with the video at all before doing so you will end up in Mesa hell with extremely slow graphics.

mikedemario17
July 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
yeah...click on the little hardware icon next to the update right?...thats what i did right when i installed 7.10 on my old pc... and every thing worked until i clicked on custom then it said "cant support ur garbage card'