PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] odd serval resume noises?

majoridiot
July 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
i was just wondering if anyone else had noticed an occasional issue when resuming from suspend on the
serval...

occasionally, after resuming and popping up the password login, it will make a series of fast, high-
pitched beeps... maybe 7 or so total, that sound kind of like an alarm. it does not do this every
time and i've tried in vain to reliably reproduce it. there doesn't appear to be anything out
of order with the logs i've looked at, either.

other than the random "alarm", the unit resumes just fine. it's merely a minor annoyance, but enough
of one at times that i thought i'd ask.

i'm still absolutely loving this serval... it's a very solid machine!

(running 8.04 with system76 drivers and all updates applied)

thomasaaron
July 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
We've had this one pop up before on a number of different computers (both System76 machines and otherwise). I believe it is a glitch Ubuntu's resume scripts somewhere. We've not been able to find anything in the logs either that point to a particular problem.

I believe you can turn the beeping off via System > Preferences > Power Management > General. Deselect the "Notify with sound in event of error" checkbox.

Also, you can deselect the checkbox in System > Preferences > Sound > System Beep.

majoridiot
July 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
We've had this one pop up before on a number of different computers (both System76 machines and otherwise). I believe it is a glitch Ubuntu's resume scripts somewhere. We've not been able to find anything in the logs either that point to a particular problem.

I believe you can turn the beeping off via System > Preferences > Power Management > General. Deselect the "Notify with sound in event of error" checkbox.

Also, you can deselect the checkbox in System > Preferences > Sound > System Beep.

thanks for the quick reply, thomas! i did a search before posting, but obviously was too narrow ;)

i'll play with your two suggestions and see if i can find a good solution. i do use the system
beep for a couple things, so i don't want to totally disable it. hopefully, the power management
setting will fix it.

asmiller-ke6seh
July 26th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I've been having this, too - precisely the same symptoms.