PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Disc Image Loader in Ubuntu

benditlikebecker13
July 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I was wondering if there was a simple way to mount ISO image files on a virtual drive. I tried to search for my answer but it was difficult to come by. I just want to be to mount any ISO file I get so that I can watch it or rip/edit it without having to burn a disc.

Potatoj316
July 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I think you can use the mount command to do that but I dont know how. This is the way I usually mout iso

go to sourceforge.net and search for vcdmount
make and install vcdmount (you will need build-essential)
in a terminal you can now type sudo vcdmount -m ISONAME to mount
and sudo vcdmount -u to unmount
you will see a vcd on your desktop, this is your mounted iso

Paqman
July 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Linux can do that by default, you don't need to install anything.

If you Google you should find a million articles telling you how to do it from the command line. There's also doubtless a few packages in the repos that have a GUI.

benditlikebecker13
July 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Linux can do that by default, you don't need to install anything.

If you Google you should find a million articles telling you how to do it from the command line. There's also doubtless a few packages in the repos that have a GUI.

When I search "disc image loader software in ubunutu" I get a ton of articls on how to install Ubuntu from an image, but nothing on how to mount an image. Is there some other phrase I should put into Google? I also tried ISO image loader and still nothing.

If it was in Google I would've found it, or I'm clicking the wrong links.

Paqman
July 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Is there some other phrase I should put into Google?

I'd use "iso mount linux".

Take a look in Synaptic though. Something like gisomount might sort you out instead of faffing around with the command line.

hyper_ch
July 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 imgage.iso /path/to/mount/point

jimmywu013
July 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
EDIT: oops - didn't see hyper_ch's post. sorry

I was wondering if there was a simple way to mount ISO image files on a virtual drive. I tried to search for my answer but it was difficult to come by. I just want to be to mount any ISO file I get so that I can watch it or rip/edit it without having to burn a disc.

sudo mount -o loop filename.iso /mount/point
should do it, where filename.iso is the path to the iso file you want to mount and /mount/point is the path to a (preferably empty) directory you want the iso to be mounted to

Once you do that, all the contents of the iso will be accessible from whatever you chose as /mount/point

HTH,
Jimmy

Potatoj316
July 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
yup what hyper_ch and jimmywu013 said. i thought mount could do it

benditlikebecker13
July 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
yup what hyper_ch and jimmywu013 said. i thought mount could do it

Thanks guys. I did a search on gISOmount and got a list of similar programs, so I think I will try that first.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/gnome/gisomount

And if nothing there works like I want it to, maybe i'll work up the courage to us the CLI.

aeiah
July 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
although this isnt specifically what you asked for, a lot of media players in ubuntu will be able to play a dvd.iso without the need to mount it. im pretty sure mplayer and vlc do anyway. i find this more convenient for dvd images but obviously its impractical for anything else.