PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to instal applications?

manoka
July 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded the "Gnu Aspell" spellchecker for the Opera browser, but don't know how to install it, as, when I open the file, there is nothing that reads "Install package", or the like, to click on for installation.
The new Firefox seems to be rather unstable on my Ubuntu 7.10.

Just in case, I also have the following three more questions:
- Does this work like the Firefox "Add-ons" spellchecking dictionaries, by automatically and constantly checking every newly writen or changed word?
- Do I need to download a special file for the Linux Ubuntu OS?
- Where do I find the different files for different languages?

Many thanks in advance for any information!

manoka

argail1980
July 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
What type of file have you downloaded? is it a tarball (.tar.gz or .tar.bz2)?
what kinds of files are in there. Maybe there's a install option from within opera.

manoka
July 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I downloaded "aspell-0.60.6.tar.gz", though there seem to be other ones available too - but I haven't got the savvy for all these variations.
Where would I have to look for a install option from within opera?

Partyboi2
July 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
aspell is in the ubuntu repos you can install it by opening a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and typing

sudo apt-get install aspell
Unless there is a reason why you need that particular version.

manoka
July 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks, that seems to be done now.
But it still doesn't work - there is no "Check spelling" button visible on the toolbar.
At
www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck
it also reads:

"2. Install one or more Aspell dictionaries."

How would I be able to do that after I have downloaded them?

Partyboi2
July 26th, 2008, 01:42 AM
To install one or more aspell dictionaries, open up synaptic package manager (System>Admin>Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for "aspell". It should give you a list of all the different dictionaries you can install. Choose one or more and install.