PDA

View Full Version : Is gaming making you to have Windows and others?

sharks
July 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Is gaming making you to have Window$ and others? If you could game on ubuntu like window$ , will u permanently thrash window$?

Note: i dont want the users to tell that i already use only linux.

Canis familiaris
July 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Gaming is the only reason I have Windows.

Here are my thoughts on this issue:
http://dogbuntu.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/how-gaming-in-linux-will-bring-the-ultimate-benefit-to-all/

mcsimon
July 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
the games that I play work great in wine

hessiess
July 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
i dont play any games besides native console emulaters and homebrew.

HansKisaragi
July 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I thought we all had moved past the hole "m$, window$" era.

To anware your question, I'm a gamer and iv already permanently trashed windows.

why you say? I moved my gaming habbits over to consoles where gaming is FUN.

So my gaming habbits is not forcing me to use windows anymore.

Only gaming i do on pc now is TeeWorlds and Emulation

:KS

NovaAesa
July 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
For starters, when you say anything with a dollar sign replacing an S, I have a hard time taking you seriously. It makes you look like a fanboy. But no, I don't have Windows for gaming, I have an xbox 360 =]

Canis familiaris
July 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
For starters, when you say anything with a dollar sign replacing an S, I have a hard time taking you seriously. It makes you look like a fanboy. But no, I don't have Windows for gaming, I have an xbox 360 =]
I agree. We should refrain using the '$' while referring to MS or Windows.

Andrewie
July 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I only buy and play games that work in Linux

armageddon08
July 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Gaming support is the only thing that remains to be developed on Ubuntu. Yup, if i could play games in ubuntu, I would trash ubuntu would take over my computer.

koji042
July 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
If Ubuntu had gaming support, that would be the greatest thing ever. It's the only thing actually keeping me from having Ubuntu dominating my entire hard drive.

LittleLORDevil
July 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Ditto

JoneYee
July 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
It's not gaming for me. I have migrated about 95% of my productivity and multimedia tools to Ubuntu, however There are about 5 apps that I cannot/are not alternatives for in Ubuntu.

I have transitioned from PS to GIMP and from iTunes to Amarok. If Wine was more stable, if there was a less buggy Wine alternative, or if I could find applications that facilitated my few remaining hangups, my xp partition would be gone for good.

I keep it around right now for work primarily

Prefix100
July 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Natural Selection 2 is getting a Linux port, and that game is going to be so awesome.

Ozor Mox
July 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I gave up Windows gaming when I gave up Windows, since I did not want to dual boot and wanted to switch to Ubuntu exclusively. I play free and open source games on Ubuntu, and have a PS3 and Wii for commercial games. Of course, the PS3 gives the closest PC gaming experience. The Wii is just pure fun! :)

elmer_42
July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu so I can play Windows games.

bp1509
July 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/

Mr. Picklesworth
July 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Ah, Microsoft. It is clear that their strength is really with making toys; XBox 360, Windows' computer game ecosystem... both really solid platforms. DirectX has definitely been a driver for graphics card manufacturers. I think I will permit them that particular victory. For now.

That's not to say Microsoft has done all good with games, sadly. There seems to be a firm belief buzzing around that OpenGL is hard to work with compared to DirectX. Based on the prodding I have done that is not the case, and besides which the only people who are touching the API are going to be the engine developers -- I should hope they know what they're doing. OpenGL doesn't suffer from constant API changes; everything is very, very stable. OpenGL's new releases do not market themselves by putting down the older releases, so those who still need to use the old ones can do so without looking old fashioned. Most importantly, they can do so with the expectation that their code will not break.
Oh, and OpenGL is an open standard implemented on every decent platform under the sun, including (although a trimmed down version) on the iPhone.

I just noticed Ogre is available in the repositories. Cool :)

BigSilly
July 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I gave up Windows gaming when I gave up Windows, since I did not want to dual boot and wanted to switch to Ubuntu exclusively. I play free and open source games on Ubuntu, and have a PS3 and Wii for commercial games. Of course, the PS3 gives the closest PC gaming experience. The Wii is just pure fun! :)

Ditto here. I was happy to give up Windows gaming in order to run Linux exclusively, though I realise it's not that easy for some. Some of the free games are absolutely fantastic on Linux (SMC, Typhoon2001, Foobilliard etc), and I have a Wii for everything else. Not got a PS3 yet, but probably will if I can get a better job!

At the end of the day, for me, keeping Windows around for a few games seemed a very silly idea when you consider what you get with Linux. There are more important things to me than gaming on the PC, but I love the emu scene on Linux anyway, so haven't really missed out on much at all.

If only it was so simple for everyone, eh?

karellen
July 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
not only games

timcredible
July 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
i have a wii, a ps3, and a psp for games. no need for windows for gaming.

AndyCooll
July 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Gaming was the only reason I kept a copy of Windows. The one game I really enjoy (Football Manager) doesn't have a Linux version or equivalent. So I ran the game in a VMWare XP image. However for the last couple of years I've been able to play the game using Wine, so I have had no need for Windows.

The rest of my gaming is done playing Linux games.

:cool:

Orlsend
July 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sadly thats why I have to kkep my windows... I play to much games with my windows friends on LAN

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm a serious chess player, and I can function just fine with Linux.

sp0nge
July 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
JMicron is making me have a windows machine- their IDE/SATA controller doesn't work so well with Linux- grub can't load, it always hangs at 1.5~!

As far as gaming goes, I Microsoft has got it down with that XBox 36o. I prefer to keep work and play separate.

king.pest
July 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I don't seem to understand the question. Why bother about windows, if ADOM and ZAngband run on linux?:)

tbroderick
July 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I don't seem to understand the question. Why bother about windows, if ADOM and ZAngband run on linux?:)

the Sims 2 and maybe the soon to be released Spore. :(

RiceMonster
July 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I use only Linux right now, but when College starts again in September, there's a good chance I'll be using windows only software, so I'll be installing windows in a virtual machine so I can use said software.

We do use OSS software as well though. We used PuTTY to connect to a red hat Linux Server and we used vi in that class too. Also, when I was learning Java Script, my prof encouraged us to use Firefox and not IE.

mehaga
July 25th, 2008, 12:22 AM
JMicron is making me have a windows machine- their IDE/SATA controller doesn't work so well with Linux- grub can't load, it always hangs at 1.5~!

I also have JMicron (asus p5k mobo), and ubuntu works well with it since... Feisty, I think.

Back to topic. Yes, I use XP to play Call of Duty 2 and I can't live without it. Unfortunately, I also depend on Visual Studio. If the gaming part would be solved, I would probably use XP in VBox instead of dual boot, but it would still have to be there.

I think it would be wise for Canonical to support and/or partner with some of game development teams, companies etc.

tuebinger
July 25th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I just have Linux on my laptop as I don't use it for games. We have a dedicated PC for Windows games, and anything else that just doesn't work with Linux.

NullHead
July 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'd get off of Windows if my Games and my X-Fi worked really good in linux.

I have a linux only laptop, but it's no good for games anyways.

Vitamin-Carrot
July 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah ive been playing games for a while now and seriously if there where native solutions instead of wine i would leave windows in a flash but right now there isnt and thats really only the developers fault no one elses. Who knows at some stage you might see a ubuntu based distro that has wine built into it ...

dreams are free

hotrod6657
August 3rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Gaming would almost do it all for me. As a college student I get free music provided through Ruckus and they've decided to only make their player run in Windows. It's a huge issue for the Mac users at my school and will keep me dual booting until after school. Pretty minor hurtle and in no way Ubuntu or Linux's fault.

hotrod

articpenguin
August 3rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
IMO gaming on pcs is a waste of money since you always have to spend money on a new piece of hardware just to run the game the min.

hotrod6657
August 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
but at the same time consoles are only good for so long. I like the fact that you can change hardware to meet new gaming requirements.

That being said you are right, it's still cheaper to stick with consoles and just buy a new one when they come out.

If selling the actual console wasn't as lucrative as it is you know they could make an operating system (like the one on those consoles anyway) that would work on different types of hardware. That way you just boot in to your xbox (or whatever) operating system and you get to game just like you would on the actual thing.

All those consoles use "old" hardware if you look at what modern computers use. Just think about the potential of a modern dual or quad core PC using a very minimalistic operating system made just for running games...

sorry, that's way off topic and doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

hotrod

Paqman
August 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
IMO gaming on pcs is a waste of money since you always have to spend money on a new piece of hardware just to run the game the min.

Er, no you don't. Console gaming is definitely more expensive, you have to buy a dedicated piece of hardware, then you pay through the nose for the games. It's much cheaper to just buy games for the PC you already have.

doorknob60
August 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
The only reasons I have Windows on my HD are games and Windows Movie Maker (seriously), so yes. WE NEED A GOOD VIDEO EDITOR!

fd9_
August 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
For me its software development tools that I love - namely VS and TortoiseSVN. And Paint.NET. That's pretty much it. And the occasional random little program that I need to work with for school.

fd9_
August 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
The only reasons I have Windows on my HD are games and Windows Movie Maker (seriously), so yes. WE NEED A GOOD VIDEO EDITOR!

Movie Maker? That's the best you can do? You've got to be joking. Have you tried these?

http://www.openmovieeditor.org/
http://cinelerra.org/
http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=home

Vakman
August 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
We have good video editing programs on Linux... Cinelerra, PiTiVi, and Open Movie Editor to name a few. There are others as well. A few were added in the above post now.
I am kind of surprised that there are more "No" answers than "Yes".
The only reason I have Windows is to game if only I had a nVIDIA card and not ATI, I could probably run Guild Wars under Wine and get rid of Windows altogether.

bogdanbiv
August 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I play native games on Ubuntu
free software native games (OpenArena, Extreme TuxRacer, VDrift)
proprietary native games (Savage - Battle for Newerth, Doom3)

Occasionally I play Window$ games in Wine (Prey) - didn't finish it yet.

kirsis
August 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm lucky that City of Heroes and Diablo II work great under wine :)

If they didn't, no biggie. Games ain't important enough to make me dual-boot. I vote no.

JillSwift
August 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
The only "game" I've ever really gotten into is Second Life (http://www.secondlife.com/), and they have a Linux port.

Barrucadu
August 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
The only games I play are either native Linux games, or emulated games. It'd be a bit odd, keeping Windows around for that :p

crhylove
August 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
All run under Wine. Except Civ 2, which I can easily run in a TinyXP VM (I LOVE VIRTUALBOX!).

Here is a list of my favorite games that run near perfectly either under Wine, or natively on Linux:

Urban Terror (I like it MUCH better than counterstrike, but others may not).
Mario Kart 64 (Mupen64plus)
Mortal Kombat 4 (Mupen64plus)
Super Mario All Stars & World (Zsnes)
Tetris & Dr. Mario (Zsnes)
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (Wine)
Quake 2 Evolved (Wine) (Best 3d engine I've seen in FOSS!)
Bust a Move (Zsnes)
Gran Turismo (PCSX)
Zelda: Wind Waker (Dolphin)
Mortal Kombat II (Zsnes)
Quake IV (Wine)
and Civ 2 in TinyXP as a VM in Virtualbox.

I can't actually think of a game that I miss not being in Windows. Most of the funnest games are for consoles anyway, and the emulators run great, for the most part.

Zeotronic
August 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have Windows, but I gave up on commercial gaming when (and shortly before, as was needed to save up money) I bought my first GP2X. My gaming is Open Source and freeware all the way, and that's not going to be changing anytime soon, for I know how to program, and if I need it I'll make it... or at least give it my best try.

So I don't use Windows for gaming... I just have it because no one is stupid enough to buy it.