PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] reinstallig Ubuntu hardy?

mahela007
July 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
HI.. I have a dual boot system running XP and ubuntu 7.10
for some reason, ( think it might be a messesed up upgrade) ubuntu wont even boot. Now, a friend gave me a CD of ubuntu hardy. Is there a way to install hardy over my current installation of Gutsy without affecting windows?
(i have two windows partitions and two linux partitions including the swap. I also dont mind loosing any data as I started using ubuntu only recenlty and I dont have any important information on my linux partition. I do want to leave windows unchanged though).

Archmage
July 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I would suggest that you simply format the partition and than install Hardy. (Of course you must be sure to format the right partition!)

However if you have a own /home-parition than you shouldn't format this one. This way you would keep all your settings.

mahela007
July 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM
What about the swap partition? Will i have to specify that too?

coffeecat
July 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
If you tell the Hardy installer to use the current 7.10 root partition for Hardy root, it will reformat it for you. It will pick up the swap partition automatically - you don't have to worry about that.

If I remember correctly, you choose the 'custom' selection when you come to the partitioning stage of the installer.

mahela007
July 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Ok. Thanks. I'll post back here within a few hours if I have any problems