PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Update Manager refuses to work

Demented_Monkey
July 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hi, I am a complete newbie to any type of linux and so far ubuntu has been pretty good to me- until just recently.
Everything else runs fine, however when i try to run the update manger i keep getting an error saying that it failed to launch from e:dpkg, and to fix the problem i have to manually run dpkg.
When i try to manually run it though- it does absolutely nothing and the updates just keep piling up and none of them download.

I don't know what to do except for my usual solution to when something doesn't work right: uninstall, then reinstall and just start anew.

iaculallad
July 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi, I am a complete newbie to any type of linux and so far ubuntu has been pretty good to me- until just recently.
Everything else runs fine, however when i try to run the update manger i keep getting an error saying that it failed to launch from e:dpkg, and to fix the problem i have to manually run dpkg.
When i try to manually run it though- it does absolutely nothing and the updates just keep piling up and none of them download.

I don't know what to do except for my usual solution to when something doesn't work right: uninstall, then reinstall and just start anew.

Could you try to post the entire error message when accessing the Update Manager.

freak42
July 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
alternatively you could also try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

if it also doesn't work please post the error messages of this as well.

tinny
July 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
alternatively you could also try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

if it also doesn't work please post the error messages of this as well.

Also...

Before running the above commands clean the APT (update application) cache (buffer of update information).

E.g

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Demented_Monkey
July 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
ok- heres what it says after i input the password:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

avtolle
July 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
At terminal run
sudo dpkg --configure -aand if there are any error messages, post here. Thanks.

Demented_Monkey
July 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
sweet! running the sudo code worked,- thanks to all of you!