PDA

View Full Version : Wholehearted Nicotine Endorsement (not the drug)

oarion7
July 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I've only been a regular Linux/Ubuntu user as of late in the spring, and I've got to say, I wasn't having that much luck with amule, which was getting me a few good video downloads if I could find the right server, but within the past two weeks I tried Nicotine Plus for my music downloads (using the soulseek server) and I've got to say--what an awesome experience.

http://nicotine-plus.sourceforge.net/

It's a little different from other p2p software I've used, especially in that it only downloads each file from one source, but honestly, the downloads are pretty quick, there's a LOT out there, and I've been able to download almost any file I find right away. Soulseek of course urges you to make a donation so as to get additional brownie points and basically be able to cut in queue lines and probably get faster downloads somehow, but not having done that I'm still very satisfied with the service--to the point that I may quite likely donate at least something in the future to show my appreciation.

Of course, to say that good p2p networks come and go is quite the understatement...

Sef
July 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

bp1509
July 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
the soulseek client for windows is better and searches much faster for some reason. But I don't mind nicotine when i need a single song or a couple singles, rather than a whole album.