PDA

View Full Version : What a strange but useful feature I found on Ubuntu...

Giant Speck
July 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
This is probably old news, but I just recently discovered that if you highlight any text and then click in a text field with the center mouse button (if the scroll wheel on your mouse doubles as a button), it automatically pastes the highlighted text into the text field.

Sweet!

I love finding out things like this without asking people.

What strange but useful features have you found on Ubuntu that others might not know about?

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 04:52 AM
This is probably old news, but I just recently discovered that if you highlight any text and then click in a text field with the center mouse button (if the scroll wheel on your mouse doubles as a button), it automatically pastes the highlighted text into the text field.

Sweet!

What strange but useful features have you found on Ubuntu that others might not know about?
This is a feature of X11. It will therefore work on almost any UNIX or UNIX-like OS. And it really is awesome :)

cariboo
July 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Its been working for as long as I've used linux. I started with Redhat 6.0 Desktop. I use it all the time.

Jim

keiichidono
July 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I never got it to work the way I want though. Some notes: It's separate from your copy from keyboard cache so you can have two different ones. Use it wisely. :D

kindofabuzz
July 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM
You can also select some text and drag it to the desktop and it will create a doc for you with that text.

dracule
July 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I actually dont get what it does.

If i highlight NOTHING and accidentally press the right and left on my touchpad (laptop), then like the last 10 letters appear.

I deem it more of a nuisance than a benefit.

indiana_crook
July 24th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Sweet!

WOW!!! I'm gonna use that all the time now.

dhughes
July 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Sweet!

You can have two things copied and ready to paste, you can middle click to paste one thing and then CTRL+V or right click>paste for another.

Firefox also opens a new tab when you middle click the Home button, a link etc.

bikeboy
July 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I felt the same way when I first discovered that feature. Even started a thread similar to this back then, quite a while ago.

I put together a list of some (http://www.vickersf.dyndns.org:8080/blog/2007/09/14/5-handy-gnome-xorg-tricks/) of these things at the time, with help from the forums.

Pasto
July 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
You can also select some text and drag it to the desktop and it will create a doc for you with that text.

Awesome! I wonder how I never noticed that.

barbedsaber
July 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
its really useful, until you need to use a windows machine, and you try and use it...

(GARRGH, WHY WON"T IT JUST CO.. oh, right...)

darthmob
July 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
nice to know!

Elfy
July 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
its really useful, until you need to use a windows machine, and you try and use it...

(GARRGH, WHY WON"T IT JUST CO.. oh, right...)

:lol: me too - I always forget

quinnten83
July 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I've gotten used to the scale option in compiz.
now when i am on a windows machine,i keep trying to scale the windows by going to the upper right corner of my screen. Drives me insane that I can't do it.