PDA

View Full Version : what's up with the attacks?

towsonu2003
November 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
first opensuse now ubuntu - what's up with the attacks? someone's not happy with open source desktop OS? :rolleyes:

kairu0
November 7th, 2005, 12:20 AM
what attacks?

towsonu2003
November 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM
one 'defaced' opensuse's web page that greets you about a week ago, the other disabled ubuntu forums for a while yesterday... not sure if there were others.

Brunellus
November 7th, 2005, 01:10 AM
perhaps a good time to think about putting the servers on OpenBSD?

*dons flameproof suit*

TravisNewman
November 7th, 2005, 01:11 AM
lol. You'll get no flames from me my friend. I think its just a matter of what the host offers.

xequence
November 7th, 2005, 01:32 AM

*dons flameproof suit*

lol. You'll get no flames from me my friend. I think its just a matter of what the host offers.

Linuxers dont hate BSD =O I respect it alot.

And I thought our server was bsd.

kairu0
November 7th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Those kind of attacks can be taken as a compliment, you know. Someone out there thinks ubuntu is competition, or at least a challenge to deface, and so they acted on it.

And by the way, if someone ever defaces bored2k's personal home page (if he has one), you can bet it was me lol

TravisNewman
November 7th, 2005, 02:55 AM
" And I thought our server was bsd."

The forums servers are running on freebsd I believe. OpenBSD is supposedly more secure. I believe that's what he was talking about.

Sirin
November 7th, 2005, 02:59 AM
This is the guy that hired him to do it. (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/press/2005/05-19gates-ceosummit_lg.jpg) RedHat's probaly next. :o

bored2k
November 7th, 2005, 03:05 AM
At least the clowns didn't redirect the forums to a tubgirl link or something.

Note: If this happens in the future, IT'S NOT ME.

darkmatter
November 7th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Note: If this happens in the future, IT'S NOT ME.

Yeah, right.:p

Don't worry, your secrets safe with me;)

fuscia
November 7th, 2005, 03:16 AM
At least the clowns didn't redirect the forums to a tubgirl link or something.

tubgirl for KDE, goatse for gnome and trannies for xfce.

benplaut
November 7th, 2005, 05:35 AM

*dons flameproof suit*

fire retardent? that's not what the forum need!

*dons tinfoil hat*

kairu0
November 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Why does xfce get all the fun?

Lovechild
November 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
well I'll just sit back and enjoy the fact that nobody got the Fedora site yet.. the single most secure out of the box Linux distro... Go fedora - kick the ass!*

*The fedora project in no way endorses cruelty to animals

lerrup
November 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM
well I'll just sit back and enjoy the fact that nobody got the Fedora site yet.. the single most secure out of the box Linux distro... Go fedora - kick the ass!*

*The fedora project in no way endorses cruelty to animals

I thought Trolls were Norwegian, not Danish...

towsonu2003
November 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM
" And I thought our server was bsd."

The forums servers are running on freebsd I believe. OpenBSD is supposedly more secure. I believe that's what he was talking about.

Yes, it is on FreeBSD:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ubuntuforums.org

Lovechild
November 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I thought Trolls were Norwegian, not Danish...

Let's see what is trollish about stating two facts:

1) Fedora is highly focused on security, being currently the only Linux distribution to out of the box ship FORTIFY_SOURCE, ProPolice, Exec-Shield, mudflaps and SELinux - calling it the single most secure Linux is not a fallacy.

2) Nobody has to my knowledge succesfully attacked the Fedora website.

I don't especially enjoy any site being owned, it's rather childish and counterproductive behavior, but I can see the appeal of it to some people.

ubuntu-geek
November 7th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yes, it is on FreeBSD:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ubuntuforums.org
Yep, the provider doesnt offer ubuntu servers so its the best at the time. Its not really a matter of what OS when the attack is so large no software based system will filter it anyways..

tseliot
November 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM

OK, I don't understand the words "tubgirl" and "goatse", can anyone explain me?

P.S. I'm obsessed with the English language, so the more I learn the better.

izmaelis
November 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
OK, I don't understand the words "tubgirl" and "goatse", can anyone explain me?

P.S. I'm obsessed with the English language, so the more I learn the better.

Wikipedia explains everything to everybody. See this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubgirl#Goatse).

P.S. Don't get obsessed by that. (-:

Brunellus
November 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
tubgirl and goatse are infamous shock-link images used by trolls. More information here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatse.cx)

Navyblue
November 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
first opensuse now ubuntu - what's up with the attacks? someone's not happy with open source desktop OS? :rolleyes:

There are wackos everywhere. Some wake up in the morning and feel they are divinely ordained to take down the WTC while others wake up at night and feel inspired to burn cars. So defacing website is nothing actually. Really, it is not suppose to make sense to a sane normal human being. :p

tseliot
November 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
tubgirl and goatse are infamous shock-link images used by trolls. More information here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatse.cx)
Izmaelis and Brunellus, thanks for the answer, now I've learnt two more (disgusting) things :p

majikstreet
November 7th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yep, the provider doesnt offer ubuntu servers so its the best at the time. Its not really a matter of what OS when the attack is so large no software based system will filter it anyways..
where is ubuntuforums hosted?