PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Python?

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I haven't know Python for very long, but I'm looking for something to do with it. Here's a list of what I have been considering

Learn pygame and try to create a simple game with it.
Learn a library for creating GUI and try to make GUI out of a program.
Do something that requires mathematical skills to hone my math.
Use it as a scripting language.

I haven't gotten to any of those yet so I don't know how big of a hurdle they are. What I need is some directions on where to go from here and out of the above, which one is most realistic for a beginner (probably the last two).

As for what I have done with Python, I have only finished 10 Project Eulers. Not saying that it's enough, and I will continue to do more, but I want to move somewhere. :)

Kadrus
July 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM
ProjectEuler (http://projecteuler.net/)

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Sure. Go for it.

Why not? See my wiki for GUI toolkits.

That could work well also.

Do you have a choice?

Wybiral
July 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Why did you learn it? What type of programming do you want to do?

ghostdog74
July 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Read all the documents on the Python website.

Kadrus
July 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I don't see the rush in doing anything GUI yet,but it's your choice.GUI doesnt mean much to me.And I agree with Wybiral,ask yourself those questions,and you'll find answers.

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
ProjectEuler (http://projecteuler.net/)

Actually, I have done about 10 of it before I created this thread. I'll continue to do more, though (although they are looking to get increasingly harder).

Do you have a choice?

Can you point me to resources on using Python for scripting? I know that scripting will come handy for me on everyday-computing, but I don't know how yet.

Why did you learn it? What type of programming do you want to do?

When I was learn Python, I wanted to create some games. Along the way, I kind of have this wanting to create an open source project when I will be skilled enough, and that was when I thought about wanting to create GUI out of existing open source programs. Then just recently, I decided that doing something that are heavy on math (like image manipulation programs) would be cool, too.

Basically, anything works. While some of those are beyond my level, I just have to pick one.

Read all the documents on the Python website.

Sound like a lot of reading to do. :p

I don't see the rush in doing anything GUI yet,but it's your choice.GUI doesnt mean much to me.And I agree with Wybiral,ask yourself those questions,and you'll find answers.

When I said GUI programming, I meant creating GUI out of existing programs. I suppose the pro is that I will be exposed to and work on someone else's code.

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Can you point me to resources on using Python for scripting? I know that scripting will come handy for me on everyday-computing, but I don't know how yet.
I do not understand. It is a scripting language and anything you do with it would be scripting...

ghostdog74
July 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Sound like a lot of reading to do. :p

you did that in school too, remember?

days_of_ruin
July 24th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I haven't know Python for very long, but I'm looking for something to do with it. Here's a list of what I have been considering

I haven't gotten to any of those yet so I don't know how big of a hurdle they are. What I need is some directions on where to go from here and out of the above, which one is most realistic for a beginner (probably the last two).

As for what I have done with Python, I have only finished 10 Project Eulers. Not saying that it's enough, and I will continue to do more, but I want to move somewhere. :)

For pygame I would recommend you start here
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/chimp/ChimpLineByLine.html

and for a gui I would recommend pygtk.

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I do not understand. It is a scripting language and anything you do with it would be scripting...

Well... err, basically, I don't know a lot about scripting. For example, I haven't came across a way to change filename in Python yet.

you did that in school too, remember?

Yes, from which the memories mostly come off as nightmares. :p

For pygame I would recommend you start here
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/chimp/ChimpLineByLine.html

and for a gui I would recommend pygtk.

Thank you very much.

arist0tle
July 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Leave it aside.......use Perl :-)

ghostdog74
July 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Well... err, basically, I don't know a lot about scripting. For example, I haven't came across a way to change filename in Python yet.
that's why you have to read the documentations. If you do, you will come across this page (http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html).
All the functions that deals with OS is there. For renaming files, rename() is the one. Also, study the tutorial by Guido.

ghostdog74
July 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM

don't start it. OP states Python.

estyles
July 24th, 2008, 02:31 AM

My assumption when someone says to use as a "scripting language" is that of writing something akin to a batch file in DOS/Windows. That is, writing a script to do something that you could do by hand, but faster. And no, I don't mean like playing a game, or drawing. Sure you can draw by hand, but that doesn't make the GIMP an "image scripter". Something like backing up files on startup, or copying over certain configuration data and then starting a program. Something that does essentially mundane operation and/or calls other more ponderous programs to do any heavy lifting that's needed.

Frex., I wrote a VBScript at work to query all the machines in Active Directory and find their name, IP, processor speed, Windows Version, virus definitions date, version of MS Office (should be nil after I finish), and version of Open Office (should be 2.4 after I finish). That's all stuff I could easily find out by hand by remoting into 200+ machines, but scripting it is easier.

Granted, Python may be considered a scripting language even when it's used to make GUI programs and games, but I wouldn't consider those games to be "mere scripting", unless they're something like "guess the number I'm thinking of".

tiachopvutru
July 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
that's why you have to read the documentations. If you do, you will come across this page (http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html).
All the functions that deals with OS is there. For renaming files, rename() is the one. Also, study the tutorial by Guido.

I'm more concern about the massive amount of functions and methods there are... I guess I will make note of them in the back of my head as oppose to completely memorize them, which is what I always do. The only way I will be able to remember them is when I use them a lot.

Since Perl is one of the language recommended to learn in here (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1), I will do that... two years from now. :)

@estyles: Thank you, that's what I meant. :)

Wybiral
July 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM

How exactly would the OP benefit from this?

days_of_ruin
July 24th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Perl is leaving the building no matter how many trollish posts you make.

Can+~
July 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM

I would suggest learning Perl too, but just to know how to read that mess.

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 04:01 AM

The docs have everything you need, and google has the rest.

My assumption when someone says to use as a "scripting language" is that of writing something akin to a batch file in DOS/Windows.
That is a very narrow assumption, especially on a Linux forum.

That is, writing a script to do something that you could do by hand, but faster.
Like every single program in existance? They make super computers to do things they know how to do, but need to do faster.

Something like backing up files on startup, or copying over certain configuration data and then starting a program. Something that does essentially mundane operation and/or calls other more ponderous programs to do any heavy lifting that's needed.
Specific definitions to a vaque term?

Frex., I wrote a VBScript at work to query all the machines in Active Directory and find their name, IP, processor speed, Windows Version, virus definitions date, version of MS Office (should be nil after I finish), and version of Open Office (should be 2.4 after I finish). That's all stuff I could easily find out by hand by remoting into 200+ machines, but scripting it is easier.
Sounds like system administration. "Scripting" can also be used to do to other tasks.

Granted, Python may be considered a scripting language even when it's used to make GUI programs and games, but I wouldn't consider those games to be "mere scripting", unless they're something like "guess the number I'm thinking of".

That is an interesting statement. "Scripting" has a negative sound to it, because of what we call "speed kiddies". I like to think of it as the computer doing work that it can afford to do, while I can't.

Python is compiled to byte code, so it is no more a scripting language than Java. Of course, one can also use an interpreter to use C (I use tcc), does that make it a scripting language?

estyles
July 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Python is compiled to byte code, so it is no more a scripting language than Java. Of course, one can also use an interpreter to use C (I use tcc), does that make it a scripting language?

Umm... I never said Python was a scripting language - you did. Anyway, I was trying to interpret what the OP meant when he said "use it as a scripting language", sorry if I struck a nerve or something...

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Umm... I never said Python was a scripting language - you did. Anyway, I was trying to interpret what the OP meant when he said "use it as a scripting language", sorry if I struck a nerve or something...

Yes, I did.

I was just showing how not clear cut things are.

pmasiar
July 24th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Seems like you are bored by Euler's problems but not ready to get into real project. And you are right, you have holes in your knowledge. Force yourself to read once through Guido's tutorial, especially quick overview of available modules. Modules is one of strengths of Python - it's part of "batteries included" motto.

For more training tasks, try also PythonChallenge website, and also http://learnpython.pbwiki.com/#Trainingtasks from wiki in my sig.

slavik
July 24th, 2008, 05:43 AM
if you want to learn how to make games, then make a tetris clone (or some kind of a maze thingy).