PDA

View Full Version : Any deaf/HOH people who use linux?

kshsj777
July 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering are there deaf/HOH people who use ubuntu or am I the only one in the universe?

Are there any ubuntu apps that are for deaf/HOH?

I guess I'm frustrated b/c I can't find any linux media players that display captions, while I know for a fact that Windows Media Player does.

Thanks,

kshsj777

ice60
July 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM
mplayer has a lot of extra options, i've seen subtitles mentioned somewhere in the config options, i'm sure. is that what you mean?

i know it's not what you're talking about, but from a fairly early age i've had really bad tinnitus. it's getting worse and is about as loud as a revving car, it wakes me up sometimes it's so loud!!

LaRoza
July 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Perhaps you could check out this forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145

kshsj777
July 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I got subtitles to work on vlc player, but so far I can't get any other dvd players to work much less any of them to display captions. Some dvds only have captions and not subtitles.

Sometimes I have ringing in my ears, it's horribly annoying.

kshsj777
July 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hey thanks for the link!

deejaypip
July 24th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Me! I'm profoundly deaf and have been since I was born.

I use smplayer to view movies with captions or subtitles. It even has forced subtitles as an option :)

LookTJ
July 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I'm one of those HOH people caused by Cerebral Palsy. I just use headphones, as it's easier than looking for apps.
oh for movies, I use subtitles. provided in both mplayer and vlc.

Bachstelze
July 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
MPlayer is the way to go ;)

You really shouldn't use VLC. Really.

mrgnash
July 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Gnome-Mplayer does subtitles as well :)

scotcella
July 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
And me..... born profoundly deaf yay!!

I use VLC.. but I'm starting not to like it anymore...

Might try out the other apps mentioned in this thread... I'll start with smplayer....

yay I thought I was the only one too... well I know I am- where I live..

Just converted a deaf friend to change to ubuntu.. and another is thinking about it :P

Bachstelze
July 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
yay I thought I was the only one... at least where I live.. Just converted a deaf friend to change to ubuntu.. and another is thinking about it :P

Maybe we should start a group here :p

deejaypip
July 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM

That would be a great idea :D

BGFG
July 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
MPlayer is the way to go ;)

Hey Guys,

What's so wrong with VLC ?

LittleLORDevil
July 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Any people in this thread go to RIT?

scotcella
July 24th, 2008, 11:30 PM

yeah right on!!

How do we do that?

scotcella
July 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Any people in this thread go to RIT?

Is that Rochester college/uni? (I've forgotten the name)

I live in Australia.. so it's a far bit from NY.

LittleLORDevil
July 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Is that Rochester college/uni? (I've forgotten the name)

I love in Australia.. so it's a far bit from NY.
Yeah Rochester Institute of Technology which has a very large deaf and hard of hearing population.

scotcella
July 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah Rochester Institute of Technology which has a very large deaf and hard of hearing population.

Thats what I thought, yeah i know it has a large deaf/hoh population. I know of a girl from school who went there..studied something to do with taking photos in medical settings...

Anyway that's as far as my 2 degrees of separation with RIT goes :)

LaRoza
July 25th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Any reason?

kshsj777
July 27th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I thought about going to RIT, but I decided it was too far and too expensive.

So glad to know I'm not the only deaf linux user!!!!

kshsj777
July 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hey I just tried smplayer!

It does captions but makes them look like subtitles though, because it doesn't keep the black box around them. However, this means I can now watch any DVDs that only have CC, even if they end up looking like subtitles.

Still not perfect. I like the black box for contrast, so I can read the subtitles better. But it is better than it was!!! Thanks so much for suggesting that.

rvm4000
July 27th, 2008, 02:51 AM
If you want the subtitles in a black box, you can add -sub-bg-alpha 40 to Preferences -> Advanced -> Options for mplayer -> Options.

scotcella
July 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
What's the difference between captions and subtitles?

I honestly thought they were the same thing?

aktiwers
July 27th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Captions write stuff like (laughs) or (music in background)..

I think, I am not sure.

But I will keep an eye on this thread, I installed Ubuntu on a 56 years old deaf friends computer 6 months ago, and he has never used a computer ever! Not even Windows or anything. So I am helping him out learning and so. It's hard for him to find info because he does not read or understand English.

So I'm in need for some good apps to install on his PC.. So if you find any other apps specially useful I would be glad to know - he might like them too :)

LookTJ
July 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Captions have white text with a black background. Subtitles on the other hand, only has white text but no background.

Bachstelze
July 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Any reason?

You have one in this thread: its support of subtibles is horrible. Otherwise it mostly fails as a player and just doesn't decode properly some of the formats he's advertised as working for (H.264 anyone?). Of course, if you only watch xvid/AVIs with no subtitles of hardsubs, it will work fine, but mplayer or xine will, too.

kshsj777
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
If you want the subtitles in a black box, you can add -sub-bg-alpha 40 to Preferences -> Advanced -> Options for mplayer -> Options.

Hey, thanks that works! The box is a bit translucent but it is much better, thanks!

Tagraf
June 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I realized this post was old, (2008) but I'll just go ahead and post it here..

I think it would be a great idea if we start build up a new distro for the deaf community.. It's seems the deaf society are all into the technology, If we expose them with linux distro, they may ask some interesting demands as they will grow to support this. Here are some few things need for the deaf.

video phone for the deaf relay (prep up with egika, Skype, Makes sure they're set up with these services, ie; P3 Purple & Sorenson SVP, etc)
http://purple.us/p3/index.html

speech to text OR voices to operator relay to instant message (prep with narrow audio toward to speaker and have operator translate it to text on instant message or otherwise different software)
http://www.ip-relay.com/myiprelay.php

media player with loaded of subtitle feature (smplayer, mplayer, vlc, .. Preferably automatically search for subtitle on opensubtitle.org and download it right away and start the movie with an option of caption/subtitle ON)

Software for hearing-aid, connect via serial interface or thru parallel if data works that way, most deaf client don't like the idea of having an appointment with the audiology to change the setting in their hearing aid. They can't tell if it is their preferable setting or not. It is all in audiology control. I think it is best to hand it down to deaf customer and be in control of their hearing.

Subtitle/script software only (no video) - this is specifically for a movie goer.. Someone may use their iphone/android or perhaps a small laptop with them in the movie. They can download the subtitle file onto their device and they can control the right timing during the movie, so that they're not out of sync.

Gee, i don't know what else.. Anybody here have a grand idea?

astrotrek
April 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi there. I just join this new forums. I am still looking for anyone who want to join deaf linux club or something like deaf community. I know all deaf still use windows becuase video relay service software support only window. I hope one day Linux development to support new video relay service software for deaf and hard of hearing too :)
I am still working on new web site for deaf Linux ):P
I hope you can join to support deaf Linux for future. :biggrin: