PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Water Spill

pim863
July 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi All,

I have had a Gazelle value for one and a half years now. Recently there was a water-spill on it, and then it stopped working - it wouldn't just turn on! I have taken the hard drive out and connected it to another laptop running ubuntu, but there are two problems:

1. The hard drive starts a ticking sound right from when the power is turned on.

2. The other computer does not recognize the drive.

Can the data be recovered? How?? The hard drive is a Hitachi Travelstar (HTS721080G9AT00).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

pinaki

thomasaaron
July 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
You might want to try to mount it from a live CD.

Also, does it show up in the BIOS?

pim863
July 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for this quick reply.

But now I figured its part of a bigger problem. The other computer (in which I had just installed Ubuntu) now do not recognize any external hard drive. I have searched the forums - this has apparently been known to occur in some computers after installing Linux, but I have not found any solution.

Now I will try to find some other computer and check the hard drive there.

Thanks again, I will update as soon as I can.

pim863
July 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hi,

I tried on another computer - but it still does not recognize the hard drive, although it does recognize other external hard drives. I will take this to some recovery place now. Hope it does not cost a fortune. Any suggestions regarding ext3 hard drive recovery in Toronto, Canada?

Thanks.

pinaki

thomasaaron
July 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
http://werecoverdata.com/

They are in Toronto and NY. It'll probably be a little pricey.