PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do I get in and out of console?

adamogardner
July 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I went there once before and didn't know what to do or how to get out. This time I'm armed with a strategy but I don't know how to get there or back.

Heinzelotto
July 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
what do you mean with "console"?
The virtual terminals which you can access by pressing ctrl+alt+(f1 to f6)?
If so, you can get back by pressing ctrl+alt+f7

adamogardner
July 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
what I mean is this:

"fbi is cool.
Note: It won't work in something like xterm. Use a console."

What do you mean virtual terminals? isn't there a terminal and a terminal emulator??

phidia
July 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
If you are in a DE (Desktop Enviroment) in Gnome the terminal is located from Applications>Acessories>Terminal.

syms
July 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
console usually means same thing like terminal

Oldsoldier2003
July 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
what I mean is this:

"fbi is cool.

What do you mean virtual terminals? isn't there a terminal and a terminal emulator??

he means ctrl+alt+f2 (etc...) for a tty. ctrl+alt+f7 will get you back to your gui when you are finished.(dont forget to close the tty when you are done with it by typing "exit" or "logout")

LowSky
July 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I went there once before and didn't know what to do or how to get out. This time I'm armed with a strategy but I don't know how to get there or back.

LOL -- Armed with a stategy for what exactly?

"fbi is cool.
I dont even know what this means

jtniehof
July 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
"fbi is cool.
Note: It won't work in something like xterm. Use a console.
"Console" in this case means "not in the graphical environment"--it's roughly the same as "virtual terminal" here. So CTRL-ALT-F1, as mentioned, will take you to a console.

That's different from the Gnome terminal or an xterm, which give you a command line inside the graphical environment (X).