PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange problems with 7.04 to 7.10 upgrade

MattinTucson
July 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
I recently upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10. I have experienced a variety of strange troubles. I recommend people re-installing. Here are a few problems I have had, and I wonder whether anyone can help.

1. The Logout button has removed the options for "reboot" and "shutdown," and the only suggestion I could find on the internet suggested the "login screen" option in the "Administration" menu, but I couldn't find "login screen" on either menu in the "system" tab. I have to go to the command line to shut down.

2. I keep getting the tan/orange blinking screen when the system starts up. I have to go into a terminal, and do the " /etc/init.d/gdm stop, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" routine. However, I can only get back to a window interface by using "startx" as "/etc/init.d/gdm start" takes me back to the blinking log-in screen. I've used envy, and 3D works now, but it still will not start up correctly.

3. Evolution eats up all the processor, and I can't kill it using "kill" or "top."

If anyone has any suggestions for these odd and persistent problems, let me know.

Thanks.

System: Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop, GeForce Go 7300 video card, 2.6.22-15 Generic kernel, no desktop effects

Partyboi2
July 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
1. The Logout button has removed the options for "reboot" and "shutdown," and the only suggestion I could find on the internet suggested the "login screen" option in the "Administration" menu, but I couldn't find "login screen" on either menu in the "system" tab. I have to go to the command line to shut down.Have a look at System>Admin>Login Window on the first tab click on "Edit commands"

Edit: Fixed up

MattinTucson
July 31st, 2008, 07:48 PM
The "system" button on my main toolbar (with "applications" and "places") only has options for "Administration" and "Preferences," and neither of them have options for "login screen." I wonder if there is some problem when I first set it up with 7.04 that is now manifesting itself.

Also, trying to solve the "blinking login-in screen" I did a ctl-alt-f1, and brought up "top" as root, and found the application was "gdmgreeter." After doing some searching on the problem, I re-installed gdm using synaptic. But, it is still doing the same thing.

I am having a hard time understanding what is happening. I have never had such a difficult time with a Linux distribution as I have had after this upgrade. But, I don't want to nuke my system until I graduate.

Also, I am not running the "desktop effects." I tried to keep things simple, and figured they would just cause more problems.

zvacet
July 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Look under system>admin>login window and do as Partyboi2 suggested.