PDA

View Full Version : syntax highlighting in vi (vim)

cacycleworks
July 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I wanted some syntax highlighting, as my brain uses it to quickly process php files to find certain chunks...

I saw this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=626294

But the actual sequence of events required to get cli syntax highlighting:

sudo aptitude remove vim-tiny
sudo aptitude install vim
sudo aptitude install vim-runtime
sudo vi /etc/vim/vimrc
change: "syntax on to--> syntax on

Thank you to LaRoza for that post. :)

Chris

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
You don't have to do all that, just a simple "sudo aptitude install vim" will set it up. Of course, I edit my .vimrc to do the spacing and highlighting I like, but I believe syntax high lighting is done by default (or can be manually set)

cacycleworks
July 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
You don't have to do all that, just a simple "sudo aptitude install vim" will set it up. Of course, I edit my .vimrc to do the spacing and highlighting I like, but I believe syntax high lighting is done by default (or can be manually set)

Yeah, I tried that. It left the links from /usr/bin to /etc/alternatives/vim-tiny :confused:

Which is why I made the post. Also, vim-full has the gui version of vim, which I don't use, so didn't want. If I have gui, I use kate or kdevelop. My vi-foo doesn't work if the mouse is useful... that's when the shift-end type of keystrokes take over.

aptitude helped me learn that vim-runtime has the syntax highlighting.

:)

Thanks again, though!
Chris

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Which is why I made the post. Also, vim-full has the gui version of vim, which I don't use, so didn't want. If I have gui, I use kate or kdevelop. My vi-foo doesn't work if the mouse is useful... that's when the shift-end type of keystrokes take over.

That was an old post of mine; I never say "vim-full" anymore :-)

dribeas
July 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I edit my .vimrc to do the spacing and highlighting I like.

+1 on that one. Each so often I have to log into a coworkers to help with some c++ problems. I really hate it as most of them change system configurations with their preferences (including changing all highlighting colors, fg and bg colors...)

David

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
+1 on that one. Each so often I have to log into a coworkers to help with some c++ problems. I really hate it as most of them change system configurations with their preferences (including changing all highlighting colors, fg and bg colors...)

David

Carry your .vimrc around with you :-)

dribeas
July 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Carry your .vimrc around with you :-)

The bad part is that I use standard color scheme, my .vimrc is limited to

syn on
set cindent ts=4 sw=4 laststatus=2
set winminheight=0
au VimEnter * set winheight=999

That last au being a work-around over a bug that vim developers don't recognize as such (even if given the patch to fix it) :P

As you see, no color definitions whatsoever