PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new MP3 Player

samurailink3
July 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I've been looking at new audio players as my old Sansa E260R is finally giving up the ghost, slowly but surely. What I would love is something that uses solid state storage, is not an apple product (I don't like the way they do on-device storage, I love drag and drop), and runs Rockbox.

Now... the first two I'm willing to give up as long as I can run rockbox on it. What I want to know is this: What experiences have you had with MP3 players, what would you recommend? The number one reason I'm loving rockbox is the amazing bookmark support.

Any pointers? Thanks!

Ub1476
July 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi, I just bought the iAudio7 from Cowon and it's amazing! Lots of other folks on the forums recommend it too. However, it doesn't run Rockbox (other iAudios do though, I think), but it has a bookmark feature. I haven't tried its "features" yet much, so I don't know how it works though. It comes in 4gb, 8gb and 16gb.

Pros are:

Amazing sound quality
Support for flac, ogg, mp3 etc
Works out of the box in Linux (and Rhythmbox detects it)
Very small and light (fits perfect in my running shorts pockets)
Around 60 hours battery life
++

Not many cons I think. Maybe that you have to update it with the windows app (optional).

Interface isn't far as good as the Apple products, but it works very well for me.

For instance, I don't think it will display cover art, nor sort your music collection into Music/Artist/Songs or Music/Album/Songs, you most enter a folder (which you create in Nautilus or your filemanager of choice).

samurailink3
July 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Cool, I'll check this out later today!

cozmicharlie
July 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM
This site has a lot of good info and reviews http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

knopper67
July 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
The Cowon D2 is the best MP3 player on the market right now IMO. It's made by the same company as the iaudio7 and has a touchscreen too :D

I recently just ordered one and can't wait until it arrives! The iaudio 7 is an excellent player as well. I suggest you look at some video reviews on youtube as well. That's what helped me finally make up my mind.

Good luck on your search :)

MONODA
July 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hi, I just bought the iAudio7 from Cowon and it's amazing! Lots of other folks on the forums recommend it too. However, it doesn't run Rockbox (other iAudios do though, I think), but it has a bookmark feature. I haven't tried its "features" yet much, so I don't know how it works though. It comes in 4gb, 8gb and 16gb.

Pros are:

Amazing sound quality
Support for flac, ogg, mp3 etc
Works out of the box in Linux (and Rhythmbox detects it)
Very small and light (fits perfect in my running shorts pockets)
Around 60 hours battery life
++

Not many cons I think. Maybe that you have to update it with the windows app (optional).

Interface isn't far as good as the Apple products, but it works very well for me.

For instance, I don't think it will display cover art, nor sort your music collection into Music/Artist/Songs or Music/Album/Songs, you most enter a folder (which you create in Nautilus or your filemanager of choice).
awesome, I cant wait to get mine! i ordered it a few weeks ago from amazon but since I dont live in the US I had to ship it to a friends house who will ship it to me :D
@OP: you should check out cowonglobal.com and read about the iaudio 7, it has a bunch of cool features. I also heard they were working on a rockbox for it...

Polygon
July 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
cowon iaudio x5l here, its a pretty good player, its a bit big compared to the ipod and such, but ive been using it for over a year and its great. Pretty much any cowon product will do you well, since they play flac and ogg =)

cozmicharlie
July 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
My ipod just bit the dust (mainboard went out - apparently a common problem). I am going to check out the Cowon. I see no reason to support Apple - imho they are worse than microsoft when it comes to support for open source. My main criteria is - I want the freedom to choose the format I like (flac or ogg) not one Apple forces on me.

Thanks for the tip on the Cowon.

vanden12
July 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
cowon iaudio x5l here, its a pretty good player, its a bit big compared to the ipod and such, but ive been using it for over a year and its great. Pretty much any cowon product will do you well, since they play flac and ogg =)

you realloy dident say how much space you wanted. But If you want flash your flgoing to get 2-16gb. For a while I had a samsong p2 . That. Thing has a load of feather on it. The main draw is bluthooth

plb
July 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
cowon d2 or iaudio 7

DeadSuperHero
July 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The Sansa Fuze looks great. It supports Linux officially, but it doesn't play OGG yet. MP3 works, however.

Pancetilla
July 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty pleased with my Iaudio X5L, specially since I upgraded my headphones (now I've got a pair of Sennheiser PX100); I'm getting the Iaudio 7 ths summer. Cowon mp3 players are good, support ogg and they work on linux, what more can I expect from them?

jeyaganesh
July 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Please also check Samsung YP-P2 with touch screen. I have ordered this yesterday. It supports two bluetooth head sets at a time.
Its features are,
1. Touch screen
2. Blue tooth support
3. FM radio
4. Reads text file
5. Good sound and video quality
6. It can connect with cell phones via bluetooth. We can also receive and dial calls from this player.
7. 30 hours of battery life.
8. Has clock, alarm and dictionary.
9. Important thing is, it has no internet browsers. Internet browsing in cellphones and media players reduce the battery power. It always happen with my Nokia N95.

I dont know about its linux support. It comes with media transfer CD for windows. I will update about its linux support after getting it.
It also supports .ogg files.

Some Video about Samsung yp-p2
1.Detailed comparison of ipod touch and Samsung P2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2-GKtn2b8

2. Video reviews
Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ns9O2OxTbUc
Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p8LAd44k-Pk

Have fun
:guitar::guitar:

samurailink3
July 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Wow, all of these look great! I'm leaning towards the cowon, especially since they officially support linux. But the Sansa is a great contender as well...