PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 installed operating systems, a way to view the other?

anchor1te
July 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hello all,

I have XP and Hardy dual-boot. Is there a way to view the other OS from the one that is running? I have seen a lot of info about VirtualBox and VMWare, but don't want to re-install, just run the other.

Any help would rock!

ibutho
July 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
With Virtualbox and Vmware, you install an OS "inside" another OS. You cannot access operating systems already installed on separate partitions.

H3retic
July 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have XP and Hardy dual-boot. Is there a way to view the other OS from the one that is running? I have seen a lot of info about VirtualBox and VMWare, but don't want to re-install, just run the other.

Unfortunately, it can't be done as far as I know. If both operating systems were run side by side they would both be significantly slower.

As you meantioned, certain people install Windows in virtualbox instead of rebooting.

Sorry! :(

IanW
You should be able to view your XP partition from Ubuntu, just by mounting the drive.
To view Ubuntu from XP, you'll need a program/driver called EXT2 IFS For Windows (http://www.fs-driver.org/).

These solutions are for data only, you will not be able to run programs on the other OS.

neurostu
No you cannot view a second OS from within the first...

If you want to run Windows in Ubuntu (or visa versa) the guest OS must be installed on a virtual machine running on the host os.

anchor1te
July 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Oh well, was trying to get around the fact of booting out of Ubuntu into XP for work stuff. Thanks!