PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help: Cant install ubuntu on sony vaio laptop

avdaga
July 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I have a sony vaio VGN-CR36G/B laptop with vista home premimum installed. I want to make it dual boot with ubuntu 7.04. When i go for "start or instaal ubuntu" at start up screen. It shows the message
"Boot loader:: Could not find kernel image:S"

and

"Invalid kernel image."

From this same DVD, i have installed ubuntu on my desktop so i dont think that there is any problem with the DVD.

So please help me overcome this problem. I need ubuntu urgently.

pmlxuser
July 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
There might not be problems with the CD but with your DVD/CD reader. My be the Disc was burned at a high speed. if i were you i would try another disk burnt at a slower speed. or just to be sure just try another disk.

;)

gluefish
August 20th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I read somewhere that the Vaio laptop's base station CD/DVD drive is seen by the computer as a firewire drive, and that other users have had trouble at the reboot in that the new image doesn't see the cd.
One user said that he moved the hard drive to an HP laptop, did the install up to the reboot and turned it off, moved the hard drive back to the Vaio and continued from there.

My question is, is there a way to prepare the install so as to see a Firewire drive before writing it to cd, so that the install will complete on a Sony Vaio? I don't have another laptop to swap with.