PDA

View Full Version : Good to do for a lug?

coreyxjessica
July 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I was thinking about handing out some Ubuntu cds and also making a data cd of the latest deb files of popular programs, along with a text file describing the program and how to install the deb or through synaptic. If I could bring myself to do so, do you think this would be a good idea to promote Ubuntu? I'd like to eventually do more, maybe create a data dvd and possibly a simple Ubuntu starter guide text file on the disks. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and support Ubuntu! :)

billgoldberg
July 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
That would be a good idea.

You would have to do a little explaining when you hand out the cd's.

Like "you can try the live cd without it ever touching your windows install" or "you can use the free virtualbox to try the OS out".

Also in the extra cd, you could put some videos explaining how to do everyday things".

Also a quick guide to install stuff in text and some other things.

Hell, rip off the how-to's in my signature and put them in there.

Put in some links to wiki's and the forum also. Maybe even a quick how-to for getting help in irc (you can find one in my blog).

coreyxjessica
July 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
That would be a good idea.

You would have to do a little explaining when you hand out the cd's.

Like "you can try the live cd without it ever touching your windows install" or "you can use the free virtualbox to try the OS out".

Also in the extra cd, you could put some videos explaining how to do everyday things".

Also a quick guide to install stuff in text and some other things.

Hell, rip off the how-to's in my signature and put them in there.

Put in some links to wiki's and the forum also. Maybe even a quick how-to for getting help in irc (you can find one in my blog).

Alright thanks I'll consider doing that. I'm going to be sure to keep it somewhat short and sweet and in Layman's terms. I'm considering having a good explanation of what FOSS is and such when I hand out the disks.

pmlxuser
July 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
don't forget ristricted codecs ( most converts want to play mp3 ,avi, DVDs with no hassle)
so for such an endevour i would just include and apt cd with the codecs for the most used ristricted codes ;)

coreyxjessica
July 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
don't forget ristricted codecs ( most converts want to play mp3 ,avi, DVDs with no hassle)
so for such an endevour i would just include and apt cd with the codecs for the most used ristricted codes ;)
I'd rather include a way of informing them how to install the codecs, but also informing them of free and proprietary software.

koenn
July 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM

Better watch out with distributing non-free codecs. There are (legal) reasons why ubuntu isn't distributing those.

billgoldberg
July 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Better watch out with distributing non-free codecs. There are (legal) reasons why ubuntu isn't distributing those.

The user didn't say where he/she lives.

So you don't know if it applies.

And I highly doubt anyone would care.

coreyxjessica
July 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
The user didn't say where he/she lives.

So you don't know if it applies.

I live in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario. I don't know if the codecs are illegal to distribute here.

koenn
July 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I live in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario. I don't know if the codecs are illegal to distribute here.

Neither do I. But you should probably try and find out, so you understand the consequences of what you're doing. That's what I meant with "better watch out ..."

koenn
July 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM

Ah, the "it's not a crime if you don't get caught" approach ...

billgoldberg
July 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ah, the "it's not a crime if you don't get caught" approach ...

Yup.

It doesn't really matter also.

If you only give out disks to people who already have OSX or Windows installed, then those people already bought the licenses.

If you at one point ever legally installed or bought windows xp/vista or osx then you can legally install the restricted extras.

Or so I've been told.

koenn
July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yup.

It doesn't really matter also.

If you only give out disks to people who already have OSX or Windows installed, then those people already bought the licenses.

If you at one point ever legally installed or bought windows xp/vista or osx then you can legally install the restricted extras.

Or so I've been told.

It pretty much depends on each individual codec, and what is allowed under the license attached to that codec.
Like, it may be legal (for some codecs) to use it (even on Linux) because you acquired a user license for it as part of a Windows installation medium, but that does not necessarilly allows you to re-distribute it. And re-distribution is exactly what the OP is thinking of.

coreyxjessica
July 24th, 2008, 01:53 AM
It pretty much depends on each individual codec, and what is allowed under the license attached to that codec.
Like, it may be legal (for some codecs) to use it (even on Linux) because you acquired a user license for it as part of a Windows installation medium, but that does not necessarilly allows you to re-distribute it. And re-distribution is exactly what the OP is thinking of.
Well instead I could just include a howto for some n00bish things to get going. I would like to also eventually create an openoffice presentation to include on it. Maybe it could highlight the progress of linux and a bit of history on it. I kind of wanna tackle promoting FOSS and Ubuntu this way. :)