DoeRayMe
November 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Which is best? just use the poll

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM
no offense but the poll is pointless. It's all opinion

DoeRayMe
November 6th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Well i just want to see which has a wider audience, no harm in that, right?

qalimas
November 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
On this forum, more people will say Ubuntu, the Kubuntu forums will prefer Kubuntu. Distrowatch shows us the real difference, with Ubuntu at about 2600, and Kubuntu at around 500. (HPD)

DoeRayMe
November 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks ^^

sorry for posting this then

`GooZ´
November 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Which is best? just use the poll
I think it's purely what you prefer most.
I should say: check them both out and see which one you like best! :-)

jatos
November 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I have used both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, at first I much preferred KDE but now I am learning some of the hidden features of metacity I beginning to find I no longer like more than Gnome.

BWF89
November 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Ubuntu

Arktis
November 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Kubuntu just isn't stable enough in my experience. It always crashes on me.

stimpack
November 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Kubuntu is the 'best', Gnome is still quite some way behind in featureset. However people use Ubuntu for political reasons, not useability reasons.

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 07:00 PM
it's statements like that that start flame wars :)

You're saying that EVERYONE who doesn't use KDE and instead uses Gnome is using it for political reasons? I only know of a few people who care about those political reasons. Just because you don't think it's as good doesn't mean that everyone who uses it must be using it for some other reason than quality. I personally find Gnome to be much more usable. I don't need all those features.

mstlyevil
November 6th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have used both and I can not say witch one is the better distro. They are different but each one has it's stengths and weaknesses. I currently use Kubuntu because it has the ability to be configured with more eye candy than gnome. But both are Ubuntu at their core and most configuring and tweaking is the same. If you like a cleaner simpler interface use gnome and if you prefer more eye candy and want your OS to look more like XP or OSX use kde.

Master Shake
November 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I've tried both, but frankly, I prefer Gnome's cleaner interface. NOthing political about my opinion.

raublekick
November 6th, 2005, 11:54 PM
i find gnome much more usable, but kde much flashier. i much prefer the simplicity of gnome though.

darkmatter
November 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Kubuntu is the 'best', Gnome is still quite some way behind in featureset. However people use Ubuntu for political reasons, not useability reasons.

LOL...'not useability'?...HA!;)

Don't even get me started...I have no intention of getting into a flame-fest over this. But, though KDE may have been around longer, and has more GUI...that hardly makes it useable...

GNOME, on the otherhand...:)

stimpack
November 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Ignore what I said, comes across, but was not meant as flamebait. Trying to express best in terms of featureset yet I am well aware what best for one is not the best for another.

Really there is only one thing that bothers me in KDE vs GNOME and that is gtk applications looking crappy under Qt and Qt applications looking crappy under Gtk, because we are all losers in that regard.

RawMustard
November 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Hardly a fair comparison since Kubuntu has not recieved the same attention as Ubuntu. Lets see how it pans out now that Kubuntu is going to get the attention it deserves. I'm a Gnome user by the way :)

Samuel
November 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ubuntu for me but i like a simple solid desktop, i used KDE always on my other distros but using ubuntu changed me over to gnome, and politics has nothing to do with it, even if gnome was tested on bunny wabbits before release i would still use it :o

zenwhen
November 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Ubuntu because I love using Gnome and really can't stand using anything else. I wish Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, etc etc.... the best of luck but would never consider using them over Ubuntu, or even in conjunction with it, as I have seen no real show stopping bit of functionality that Gnome lacks.

xequence
November 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM

KDE being the best is opinion. Mine changes alot. Gnome, KDE, Windowmaker, gnome, icewm, openbox, blackbox.

And I dont use ubuntu for political reasons. Thats new to me... I use it for useability reasons. It works, and it works well. Apt is awesome, for the most part a great community, and it has fast repo servers. (250 KBPS :))

gray-squirrel
November 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I don't understand what's "political" about this, but then again, I'm not cruising around here and other Linux forums as much as I should be.

I don't know the history too well, but I was under the impression that Kubuntu's first release was later than Ubuntu's. That may be one big reason why Kubuntu is not ranked as high as Kubuntu, I think. Now with the Breezy release out there we should help increase its exposure somehow.

And yes, "eye candy" is exactly the reason why I enjoy KDE. (Nice selection of screen savers.) But strangely enough, KDE uses less RAM on my computer than Gnome does. I still haven't figured out why yet.