PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Non-interactive install of sun-java6-jre

ehammond
July 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I am automating the install of various software for virtual machines and would like to effect the following in a non-interactive manner:

apt-get install -y sun-java6-jre

I have already read and accepted the license agreement and I don't wish to be forced to agree to it manually during every automated install.

I have already tried
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
but this has no effect.

Ideas?

thesheff17
October 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I still have this problem. Also I cannot switch to open jdk. Is there anyway to bypass this license.

smoser
October 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
From bug 634487 [1]

export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
apt-get update
echo 'sun-java6-bin shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true
sun-java6-jdk shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true
sun-java6-jre shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true
sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jre/stopthread boolean true
sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jre/jcepolicy note
sun-java6-bin shared/present-sun-dlj-v1-1 note
sun-java6-jdk shared/present-sun-dlj-v1-1 note
sun-java6-jre shared/present-sun-dlj-v1-1 note
'|debconf-set-selections
apt-get -y install sun-java6-jdk

Generically if debconf is asking you questions, you can answer them once, and then see what answers were recorded and seed them the next time.

You can view debconf answers via 'debconf-get-selections' in debconf-utils.
- apt-get install debconf-utils
- sudo debconf-get-selections > pre
- sudo apt-get install foo
- sudo debconf-get-selections > post
- diff -u pre post

The changes can be seeded with debconf-set-selections as show above.

--
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ec2/+bug/634487

zzzz8
October 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Hi Scott,

I'm using the Ubuntu Cloud guest images and the cloud init package to install certain packages at startup. I would like to install the Sun Java 6 JDK using cloud-init and cloud-config in a noninteractive manner.

The instructions you have above apply when one is running a script. I would like to avoid putting the commands above into the runcmd portion of the cloud-config script (it will be quite long and ugly to maintain). Moreover, the commands in the runcmd portion of cloud-config are run near the end of startup - and I have some dependencies where I want to execute the install of the Sun Java 6 JDK package earlier.

What's the best way of specifying the install of the Sun Java 6 JDK package in cloud-config?

thesheff17
October 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
You can disable the prompt by using the below commands. I run these as root. Let me know if this works out:

echo 'sun-java6-plugin shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true' | /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections

echo 'sun-java6-bin shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true' | /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections

echo 'sun-java6-jre shared/accepted-sun-dlj-v1-1 boolean true' | /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections

zzzz8
October 2nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Your commands work - as well as Scott's. There's a caveat because I'm trying to do this on Amazon EC2 during startup. However, I would have to run these commands in the runcmd section of cloud-config or perhaps pass it in directly in the user-data as a script. Either method is just a bit too late in the startup sequence.

If you know of a way to execute these scripts earlier in the startup sequence, please let me know. Thanks!

thesheff17
October 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
I see what you mean about being able to execute the commands pre cloud-init. I admit I'm not using the cloud init script and have custom python scripts configuring my ec2 images. I would suggest emailing/joining the ubuntu ec2 google group and sending the group an email. http://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu?pli=1 Unfortunately the ubuntu forums seem a little stale for server ubuntu community support. Smoser is prob the guy you want for help on cloud init and prob watches that ec2 group more closely.